Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Fingerprint grayed out in settings

I'm trying to turn on my fingerprint scanner. But when i go to under Settings > General > Passcode "fingerprint" is grayed out and im unable to add it.

iPhone 5s, iOS 7

Posted on Sep 20, 2013 9:51 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 31, 2017 3:00 PM

KijkUser uploaded file

20 replies

Apr 3, 2017 11:49 AM in response to smile5151

I had this problem too after I replaced the battery in my iphone 5S. I tried the suggestion of signing out of Apple ID and then logging back in, but still had the same problem. It turned out an update was available, and once the update was installed and my phone restarted, the fingerprint ID "magically" activated. Hope the fix is just as simple for you!

Oct 10, 2017 12:27 AM in response to robint12

Thanks! Happening to me in 2017 and more likely my problem than a consequence of a screen replacement, since it's happening to my iPhone 6 and ipad Air 2, and neither has had a screen replacement. My debit card expires this month though and new one only arrived today. Hopefully once authorisation charge disappears everything will work!

Fingerprint grayed out in settings

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.