Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't delete old photos in iOS 7

I've just upgraded my iPad 2 to iOS 7 and was reviewing my photos through the Photos app. I've got some pretty old photos from a few years back and decided to delete these. I selected these however the trash can icon remains greyed out. More recent photos seem to be ok and are able to be deleted. Can anyone help me resolve this?

iPad 2, iOS 7

Posted on Sep 21, 2013 12:23 AM

10 replies

Sep 27, 2013 3:26 PM in response to bmccartney

Maybe this will help but I'm not sure I had the same problem.

Plug the ipad into a computer and download all the pictures onto the computer using iPhoto.

Then use iPhoto to organize the photos into two events. One event for pictures you want to keep and one event for pictures you don't want to keep.

Then select the ipad in itunes. Then select the photos tab. Click the Sync Photos box, Then select: Selected Albums, Events and Faces...

Make sure to then only check the event in the right hand column that you want. Then Sync. The other photos you don't want on the ipad will be deleted.

Oct 22, 2013 8:15 PM in response to bmccartney

I don't know if anyone at Apple reads or cares about this and the reason I comment this way is because I have avoided iPhoto for years finding it to be an unpleasant unintutitive piece of software and it seems to just grow worse and more destructive. It's slow, the beach ball spins, you think you've deleted photos when you haven't. That latest outrage is the manner in which this cancerware invades the iPhone and the iPads camera roll. I downloaded iPhoto for my iPad so that I could share photos I took from Russia. Iphoto was really the only way unless photos were put into a USB app and then saved to camera roll. In doing so I cannot really explain the convoluted confused mess that occured but I can write this, I was unable to sort through and delete photos, I went online to sync with iPhoto via iTunes as someone online suggested, my pictures on the camera roll were wiped out and for some reason the camera roll and iPhoto synced with the laptop and wiped out pictures. Crazy and confusing to explain but there is NO excuse for this garbage. The iPhoto team should be terminated as far as I'm concerned. I've been fine with apple with this exception. I'm not the only person who has found this software invasive and unwieldly.

Oct 22, 2013 8:33 PM in response to wjksea

Perhaps you have not set up the settings properly and did not have photos from the iPad saved via photo stream to the Mac. My only complaint with iPhoto, was having to pay for the upgrade when ios 5 came out. Without the upgrade the iCloud photostream would not work.

My photos and video transfer automatically when I connect to power and leave iPad in sleep mode. I have no problem deleting photos from the photostream, my trash can is blue and active.

On the computer, in iPhoto, click iPhoto pul down menu, select preferences, turn on photostream, add iCloud account etc.

On the device, go into settings, iCloud or Photo and turn on photostream.

As I learned a long time ago, it's a computer, GIGO, stand for: garbage in, garbage out. There are many Help and tutorials if you aren't sure how to use a program, but don't blame the program if the user doesn't know how to operate it.

Oct 22, 2013 8:47 PM in response to lizdance40

I appreciate that you have researched iPhoto and have it figured out. Fortunately the iPhone for Apple does not require this extensive research or else it would have been a collosal fail. That said, I had photos on a CD. I imported them into iPhoto and synced them with the iPad. Today, these directories are empty on the iPad and a bunch of events I didn't create exist with all the photos recklessly strewn within.

On the laptop, the "events" are still there as they came off the CD from it's directors/folders, when I click on a photo, the full size photo comes up but is blocked by a banner stating the original photo cannot be found. If I select cancel, a question mark appears and the photos are gone, if I select try again...well it's a fail unless I guess I insert the CD...hey, something is on the hardrive called a photo but iPhoto won't let me view it without some sort of harrassement....No one should have to research a piece of software. I've known too many bright people who hate this software. Something has to be done to allow users to avoid this cancerware. Organizing ones photos should never be this unintuitive.

An arrogant self-righteous pious attitude can be taken or someone with the authority can take charge and clean up this mess this long standing Apple cancerware. iPhoto should NEVER mess with the camera roll on these devices unless it CLEARLY is something the user were to want. iPhoto in my experiece is very horrible piece of software.

Feb 16, 2014 5:19 AM in response to bmccartney

I had exactly the same problem and have just fixed it on my iPad.

To reiterate, I had photos on my iPad that were unchecked on my iTunes / Photo tab, but we're still showing up.

I went into iTunes with the ipad connected.

I switched the sources of the photos to sync to 'My Photos' folder in my computer and then switched back to 'Sync photos from iPhoto'c

For some reason, iTunes then picked up that there were in fact synced photos that I could then desync.

Hope to helps someone else, as it was driving me insane also!

A 16Gb iPad doesn't hold much these days, and 1Gb of erroneous photos was chewing up space.

Good luck all!

Sep 3, 2015 10:42 PM in response to bmccartney

Same exact problem. The solution seems to be that I need to plug in my iphone to my computer, which is just ******* lovely because I'm not in a position to run to the store and buy another phone cable even if I did want to spend 20$ retail on one.

DID IT EVER OCCUR TO YOU APPLE NUMBSKULLS THAT PEOPLE MIGHT NOT ALWAYS HAVE A COMPUTER AROUND WHEN THEY WANT TO DELETE SOMETHING? OR WANT TO RE-SYNC WITH A NEW COMPUTER JUST TO DELETE A ******* FILE?

My God this is the stupidest design decision I've ever seen/heard of, all in the name of stroking record company CEOs who fear piracy via ITunes, as if that at all matters when people could just rip a CD or BD anyway. I don't like piracy either but FFS, this does NOTHING to curb piracy, it just makes your device a pain in the *** to use.

Never buying another apple product.

Can't delete old photos in iOS 7

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.