Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Upgraded to iOS 7, disconnects from wi-fi

I have noticed yesterday that my iPhone 4s and iPad 2 disconnect from my wi-fi network when it's locked. Then after you unlock it,it takes one and a half seconds or less to reconnect.I also checked it to my router's page using a web browser and you can see there that the only wireless device connected is my laptop.I also reset my router to factory settings and then reconfigure it and still they always disconnect. But when my devices are charging they are consistently connected to my wireless network and when I unplug they will disconnect again. Does anyone experiences this kind of "iOS 7 bug" too? I haven't tried yet connecting to other wi-fi networks. The problem might be my on router but it seems like it's another iOS bug. idk 🙂

iPhone 4S, iOS 7

Posted on Sep 21, 2013 1:39 AM

21 replies

Oct 7, 2013 2:07 PM in response to mat060

mat060 wrote:

Same thing here on my iPhone 5, after I updated to iOS 7 it started disconnecting from the wifi whenever the phone is locked. The only difference is that it does not connect back to the wifi automatically, I have to manually reconnect it.

Every iPhone for the past 7 years (abount 900 million devices) has ALWAYS disconnected from WiFi when the phone goes to sleep, unless it is connected to power. This is to preserve battery. WiFi uses power continuously, so if it remained connected the battery would be dead in 8-10 hours - such as overnight.

Oct 7, 2013 3:19 PM in response to Lawrence Finch

Lawrence Finch wrote:

Every iPhone for the past 7 years (abount 900 million devices) has ALWAYS disconnected from WiFi when the phone goes to sleep, unless it is connected to power. This is to preserve battery. WiFi uses power continuously, so if it remained connected the battery would be dead in 8-10 hours - such as overnight.

If that is the case, then how is it fetching email?

For example, I turn on Airplane Mode (because my phone signal is terrible at work), but turn WIFI on.

If it disconnects when it goes to sleep, how am I receiving emails properly?

Oct 8, 2013 7:40 AM in response to Lawrence Finch

Lawrence Finch wrote:

mat060 wrote:

Same thing here on my iPhone 5, after I updated to iOS 7 it started disconnecting from the wifi whenever the phone is locked. The only difference is that it does not connect back to the wifi automatically, I have to manually reconnect it.

I guess you didn't read the part where I said it does not reconnect back to the wifi it was connected. Anyways, Gerald found the solution to this. Thanks!

Oct 8, 2013 7:44 AM in response to Gerald Edgar

Gerald Edgar wrote:

I found today that for one wifi network (where I had the disconnect problem), in Settings > WifFi, if I click the circle-i on the right of that network, there are two switchess to turn on: Automatically join, and Automatically login (or something like that). Maybe that will fix it... I'll see next time I return there.

Your're magic! How couldn't I see those switches... the Automatically join switch made it for me.

Thanks Gerald.

Oct 8, 2013 8:10 AM in response to mat060

mat060 wrote:

That you receive your emails properly does not mean that the device is attached to a wifi connection ALL THE TIME. iOS might be reconnecting from time ti time to feed background applications.

I would think that's a logicial explanation. However, I am still able to receive iMessages instantaneously from when they are sent. Additionally, my WIFI router shows the devices as still connected whenever they appear asleep.

Oct 8, 2013 9:00 AM in response to mistercoffee1

I agree, that's the most logical explanation. To be hones I'm far from being an iOS expert and don't have all the knowledge to explain exactly how that works but if you wanted to get technical on the matter, we should be discussing about APN service, push email, wifi vs LTE vs 4G vs etc priority, multichannel-http connections, WiFi PSM and maybe more which I don't think is the purpose of this topic.

I guess the trick of mjmsalazar's original question is that this 'already existent Wifi PSM feature' is combining with a new iOS 7 feature where many users are experiencing issues when waking their devices up since their devices are not connecting back to the wifi they were connected before. This issue is easily replicable.

The source of the problem is the addition of the two new switches Gerald mentioned above, new in iOS 7, these two switches control the way a wifi network is 'remembered'. So if for some reason your network connection is set as Automatically Join = Off, then your iOS device wont automatically reconect to that WiFi network after waking up. Which in my case, I relay on the wifi connection to receive all the notifications you're talking about and I'm certainly not receiving any of them. Of course the issue got fixed by turning the switch on.

Oct 8, 2013 9:47 AM in response to mistercoffee1

Here's an experiment:

Open a CMD window in Windows, or a Terminal window on Mac.

Look up the IP address of the iPhone in Settings/WiFi and tap on the i to the right of the network name.

In the command window type:

Ping /t <the iPhone IP address>

On a Mac leave out the /t

This will send a packet to the iPhone every second and then display the response.

Put the phone to sleep. 30-45 seconds later the iPhone will stop responding.

Plug it in and it will start responding again.

Kill the ping with ^C

Oct 8, 2013 10:22 AM in response to Lawrence Finch

Lawrence Finch wrote:

Here's an experiment:

Open a CMD window in Windows, or a Terminal window on Mac.

Look up the IP address of the iPhone in Settings/WiFi and tap on the i to the right of the network name.

In the command window type:

Ping /t <the iPhone IP address>

On a Mac leave out the /t

This will send a packet to the iPhone every second and then display the response.

Put the phone to sleep. 30-45 seconds later the iPhone will stop responding.

Plug it in and it will start responding again.

Kill the ping with ^C

Hi Lawrence,

Interesting stuff. I find that with the phone unplugged - with the phone active, it gets reponses. After pressing the power button to put it to sleep, it takes about 20 seconds to time out.

Upgraded to iOS 7, disconnects from wi-fi

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.