Newsroom Update

The redesigned iPad Air and new iPad Pro with Apple silicon are now available. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to reset when home button is broken?

Hello everyone!

The Home button on my iPad 2 stopped working a couple of days ago. I looked online to see how to "fix" this and configured the iPad so that the button is now on my screen... Not the best thing, but it does the job.

The day after the Home button failed, my iPad stopped charging. I stopped at the closest Apple Store, saw a tech at the Genius Bar, she tested it with a new cable and it worked. Great! Just 20$ to fix the problem!

I'm currently on vacation ( of course this has to happen while you're on vacation... What would be the "fun" in having iPad troubles when you're close to home.. ;-) ), so when I got back to the hotel, I plugged it in to charge, but after trying 6 different outlets, I still didn't get the charging battery sign.... So back to the Apple Store... When I got there, plugged it in with the new cord and it worked! Then the tech came to have a look at it, saw that it was charging, thought I was insane (!!!), unplugged it, plugged it again and then, next to the % of battery it said "Not charging".... Unpluged it a few times, tried wiggling the cord, and then it started charging again....

I still can't get it to charge at the hotel, but now, I would like to do a hard reset, but with the Home button not working, how can I do that?

Thank you for your help!

PS Sorry for the mistakes... English is my second language...

Posted on Sep 21, 2013 5:45 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 27, 2016 6:01 PM

I have a huuuuuuuge question, ive screwed up entirley badly by trying to factory reset my phone not knowing my home button didnt work ive now gotten as far as the "press home button to upgrade" screen however due to the fact i cant turn off the phone ether im not sure what to do? s there anyway i could bypass this screen without having to use the home button? PLEASE NEED HELP!!!

17 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 27, 2016 6:01 PM in response to BettyBoop70

I have a huuuuuuuge question, ive screwed up entirley badly by trying to factory reset my phone not knowing my home button didnt work ive now gotten as far as the "press home button to upgrade" screen however due to the fact i cant turn off the phone ether im not sure what to do? s there anyway i could bypass this screen without having to use the home button? PLEASE NEED HELP!!!

Nov 15, 2016 1:07 AM in response to surfpick

Same happened here till I started messing with it sooo... 1st make sure ur phone is off now before u press the power button ur gonna hold down the volume down button while holding it down then press the power on button till u see the apple logo but still hold on to the volume one and it should take you straight too language.. hope this helped =)

Nov 22, 2016 4:07 PM in response to IntrinsicallyBored

...actually, I take that back. The volume down button trick worked to get past the initial welcome screen, but after I click through to restore from an iCloud backup, another "Hello" screen comes up, and I cannot get past that. If I restart the phone, it just brings me back to Step 1, pre-restored phone. Anyone find a way to get past this?

I tried with iTunes but I only backed my devices up through iCloud. I can't believe Apple doesn't have a published work-around (but I guess I'm also not entirely surprised).

Dec 2, 2016 10:54 PM in response to surfpick

Hi,

I've not faced such an issue (because my home button is not broken) but if you are using ios10 and above. At the screen where "press home button to unlock" message is shown, pull down your notification bar, swipe right. In this you can seen widgets, in 'Siri app suggestion' widget, select any app and it will prompt lock screen password screen. You can enter your password and good to go. Immediately go to Settings->General->Assecciblity-> Assistive touch. Turn assistive touch on.

How to reset when home button is broken?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.