Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iOS 7 downloaded on to my iPad mini, but I don't want to upgrade, and it's taking up space. How do I remove it?

Hi, I got a message saying ios 7 was downloaded and ready to install. However, I don't want to upgrade as I like ios 6.1.3 as it works flawlessly on my mini. I noticed that my storage has gone down by about 3GB now that ios 7 has been downloaded. How can I remove ios 7 from my device? Thanks :)

iPad Mini-OTHER, iOS 6.1.3

Posted on Sep 21, 2013 5:48 AM

19 replies

Sep 25, 2013 5:13 PM in response to FreakOfNature

I spent a good part of this past weekend researching this and trying MANY different things to get rid of the update file which now resides (and continues to reside) on the iDevice (iPad mini in my case)...the update was pushed to my iPad mini without my knowledge & without me choosing to do so. It can be removed if the device is restored as new, BUT it will again be downloaded to the device when:

1. It's connected to the PC via USB (in other words, the iDevice is externally powered by the PC) which has a working internet connection

2. It's connected to the charger and the iDevice itself has a valid internet connection.

The ONLY way to remove it and *keep it off of the device* is to restore the device as new, restore all your Apps, music etc. with the internet disabled (on both the device and the PC), then NEVER allow it to connect to the internet.

Your only recourse is to ignore the update (even though it's taking that huge chunk of space) and do NOT push the Install button under Settings/General/Software Update

This is really bad practice, forcing the update to download onto the device over and over again despite the user not wanting it nor wishing to update it. IMO, this is borderline on being a virus since you can't remove it under normal means and if you DO remove it, it is downloaded to your device again (and again).

Sep 25, 2013 5:36 PM in response to StevenBulifant

StevenBulifant wrote:

Go to settings-general-usage/

Does it have anything under usage that has the update?

No, it's not listed there. It resides on the device in some hidden low-level area which the user cannot access but it can be seen in iTunes useage under "Other" which will reflect the size (you cannot remove it from iTunes either). I've restore the iPad as new, kept it disconnected from the internet purposely and made note of the useage size after all my Apps/music have been restored. Then once the device is connected to external power with a working internet connection available, it will download, then decompress the update. Afterwards, the iTunes useage size is increased by at least 1 GB.

Sep 25, 2013 5:50 PM in response to SergZak

if u guys dont like using apple software u could just stop using apple products. stop complaining about stuff u willingly bought. its kind of common knowledge that if u want to keep using ur device with other apps and services u were gonna have to update it anyways. large companies will always only support there latest softwares.

Sep 27, 2013 11:48 AM in response to zelous

F**k. Mine did it also today 😟

My iPhone 4s on iOS6.1.3 just started to download the **** iOS7.0.2 updated without me telling it to.

So all you people who says thats not possible. It is. I tried it my self today.

Now i'm stock with half a iOS7.x firmware somewhere on my iPhone.. that ***** apple.

Did anyone find out how to stop this somehow ?

Thanks

iOS 7 downloaded on to my iPad mini, but I don't want to upgrade, and it's taking up space. How do I remove it?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.