7 Replies Latest reply: Sep 21, 2013 7:16 PM by bipin1980
bipin1980 Level 1 Level 1

Hi all,

I brought a new mac book air 2 days back. The 1st day I was able to chat on skype video and gmail video but, today there is no option for video chat!!!!! what has happened suddenly? Can any 1 help me to fix it.

MacBook Air (13-inch Mid 2013)
Solved by bipin1980 on Sep 21, 2013 9:12 AM Solved

hey dominic pls read this, its the new update which has caused it

Hey all!

After some investigation, we have found that the OSX 10.8.5 update is missing a specific file that would allow some apps such as Skype or iMovie to access the built-in facetime camera on Mid-2013 MacBook Airs.

At this point, we are not sure how this can be fixed, and we'll get in touch with Apple to see how we can solve this.

From our tests, however, external webcams should work. It's not the best workaround, but until something gets fixed, that is the only known (and hopefuly temporary) solution.

For the more tech-savvy readers:

The 10.8.5 update updated a CoreMediaIO plugin that accesses the MBA camera, but didn't bundle the 32-bits version of it.

Other (older and newer) versions of the OS do include a universal version (32 and 64 bits), but not 10.8.5.

This means 32-bits apps such as Skype or iMovie cannot load the plugin, making the built-in facetime camera invisible to these them.

--
Thibault
Skype for Mac Engineer

Reply by bipin1980 on Sep 21, 2013 9:14 AM Helpful
Reply by dominic23 on Sep 21, 2013 6:52 PM Helpful

A permanent fix has to come officially from Apple or Skype or Google.

Skype says it has to come from Apple.

So I don't know. This proves the necessity of proper backup, so that you can revert back.

This problem affects only MacBook Air 2013.

Leave the system as it is for now and hope for the best.

All replies

• dominic23 Level 8 Level 8
    expertise.macosx
    Mac OS X

You can return a new Mac within 14 days of purchase.

A new Mac is in warranty for 1 year from the date of purchase.

A new Mac comes with 90 days of free tech support from AppleCare.

AppleCare: 1-800-275-2273

Call AppleCare. They will help you.

Best.

• bipin1980 Level 1 Level 1

hey dominic pls read this, its the new update which has caused it

Hey all!

After some investigation, we have found that the OSX 10.8.5 update is missing a specific file that would allow some apps such as Skype or iMovie to access the built-in facetime camera on Mid-2013 MacBook Airs.

At this point, we are not sure how this can be fixed, and we'll get in touch with Apple to see how we can solve this.

From our tests, however, external webcams should work. It's not the best workaround, but until something gets fixed, that is the only known (and hopefuly temporary) solution.

For the more tech-savvy readers:

The 10.8.5 update updated a CoreMediaIO plugin that accesses the MBA camera, but didn't bundle the 32-bits version of it.

Other (older and newer) versions of the OS do include a universal version (32 and 64 bits), but not 10.8.5.

This means 32-bits apps such as Skype or iMovie cannot load the plugin, making the built-in facetime camera invisible to these them.

--
    Thibault
    Skype for Mac Engineer

expertise.macosx
    Mac OS X

I was aware of those threads and used to refer to those threads in this forum.

I stopped doing it because the suggestion to alter the "core" of OS X is not

desirable from my part.

It is only proper for me to ask you to contact AppleCare.

"Help but do no harm" policy prevails here.

Best.

Hmmm, so is that change goin to affect the computer? Do u suggest to reinstall the plugin I deleted?

expertise.macosx
    Mac OS X

A permanent fix has to come officially from Apple or Skype or Google.

Skype says it has to come from Apple.

So I don't know. This proves the necessity of proper backup, so that you can revert back.

This problem affects only MacBook Air 2013.

Leave the system as it is for now and hope for the best.

hmmm, I had the original plug in;I have again installed the original version. Better be safe than sorry. Will wait till something come up .