Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Hack to install Aperture Camera Raw 4.06 on 10.6.8 Snow Leopard

I bought a Nikon D7100 and was surprised that I can't upgrade my Aperture 3.4.2 running on 10.6.8 to work with RAW images. I thought someone might have a hack to install this camera raw update without upgrading to 10.7.5? Any help is appreciated.

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Sep 21, 2013 6:40 AM

7 replies

Sep 21, 2013 7:27 AM in response to TreasureGuard

Additional note: I managed to install RAW 4.06 using Pacifist. It shows up at "About Aperture", but it still can't display the RAW Images from the Nikon D7100, this is probably because it somehow needs Aperture 3.4.5.

I installed Aperture 3.4.5 using Pacifist, but again if I want to start it up a message comes up saying that it needs 10.7.5. Is there a file I could change with an editor to let me run Aperture 3.4.5 on OSX 10.6.8?

Sep 21, 2013 8:34 AM in response to TreasureGuard

To run Aperture 3.4.5 you really need MacOS X 10.7.5 or 10.8.2 or later.

The differences between the latest Lion Version or Mt. Lion and Snow Leopard are more than a few files. As William Lloyd said, there is no way to patch this by adding a few files. The new generation of Mac OS X systems has a completely different architecture, and Aperture has been built to profit from the system services, most importantly the security features - sandboxing - a very different process system, 64bit only code, and iCloud support.

If you are interested in the differences, you may want to have a look at these ars Technica reviews:

The process model: http://arstechnica.com/apple/2011/07/mac-os-x-10-7/8/

The security features: http://arstechnica.com/apple/2011/07/mac-os-x-10-7/9/

Regards

Léonie

Does your Mac not support 10.7.5?

Sep 22, 2013 6:25 AM in response to TreasureGuard

There have been so many changes to the OS that it is not surprising that this can;t be done.

One point I'd like to add is that given the things you have tried, installing bits of software using Pacifist you may have compromised parts of the OS/Aperture. If you decide not to upgrade to Lion or Mountain Lion I would strongly recommend you do either a reinstall of your OS and Aperture or else restore the system from a recent backup but from before you tried making these changes.

regards

Hack to install Aperture Camera Raw 4.06 on 10.6.8 Snow Leopard

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.