Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

APPLE/COLOR STYLEWRITER MOBILE 2200

HI
I just picked up this stylewriter, and it seems to power up ok, but have only been using usb printers...and I can't get the software on floppys to load (bad disks error) and can't get either OS's to see this?
Browsed thru downloads and could not find drivers, or anything for a 2200 color stylewriter.
Any help getting this hooked up to either system and info on where to get software for this would be a big help. Also as I have never had any luck with appletalk setups...if someone could walk me thru that I would appreciate it. thanks Bill J

1-g3 mt beige/300mgz 640mb 1-desktops beige 400mgz 640mb and a B&W/768mb 300mgz, Mac OS X (10.3.9), HP 1610 AIO/ 5550/& 970CXI printers

Posted on Jun 24, 2006 3:30 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 24, 2006 9:03 PM

Bill J,

The CSW 2200 will use the same drivers as the CSW 2400/2500, and I found them at this link:

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=60283

I'm sure you could find it at another location...there are some sites that have legacy drivers like this.

I have one of these as well--hooked up to my old PBG3 Wallstreet model that I've bequeathed to my son. Remember that this is hooked up by Apple serial--not USB, so its' use is limited to computers prior to the original iMac G3 (1998).

Blessings,
Fred

PB G4 1.67GHz 15" | 512MB | 80GB Mac OS X (10.4.6) Wallstreet PB, iMac G3 400 & 500, iMac 233 (Bondi), PowerComputing now 400MHz G3
13 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 24, 2006 9:03 PM in response to william jaderberg

Bill J,

The CSW 2200 will use the same drivers as the CSW 2400/2500, and I found them at this link:

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=60283

I'm sure you could find it at another location...there are some sites that have legacy drivers like this.

I have one of these as well--hooked up to my old PBG3 Wallstreet model that I've bequeathed to my son. Remember that this is hooked up by Apple serial--not USB, so its' use is limited to computers prior to the original iMac G3 (1998).

Blessings,
Fred

PB G4 1.67GHz 15" | 512MB | 80GB Mac OS X (10.4.6) Wallstreet PB, iMac G3 400 & 500, iMac 233 (Bondi), PowerComputing now 400MHz G3

Jun 24, 2006 10:56 PM in response to william jaderberg

Hi Bill,

"I have never had any luck with appletalk setups...if someone could walk me thru that"

In your thread:

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?messageID=2278886&#2278886

AppleIIFreak offered this Carlson tutorial website:

http://homepage.mac.com/car1son/os9xnet_nfilesharing.html

Did that not work for you?

Denis Eddy offered an abreviated set of instructions here:

(still looking)

Could you give a little more detail on what AppleTalk connection issues you have had? I start with the AppleTalk control panel and then go down the list of file sharing, PPP or Remote access, TCP/IP, and Users. By the time I get to the bottom I have usually discovered some setting that was 'off.' Be sure to hit save or apply to make sure new settings take effect.

Jim

Jun 25, 2006 1:09 AM in response to william jaderberg

Bill,

The Color StyleWriter 2500 drivers, referred to by Fred, can be found in the printer software section here.

The downloadable 7.5.3 (e.g. the US version here) contains a Color SW 2200 Chooser extension for use with that operating system.

As Fred also mentioned, the CSW 2200 is a serial printer (not a LocalTalk network printer), to be connected to the round MiniDIN printer port of an older Mac. The printer can be shared (in that case, the printer is connected to the modem port; while the LocalTalk network is attached to the printer port of the sharing Mac). The typical use is directly with an older PowerBook.

If necessary, a manual can be found here.

Jan

Jun 25, 2006 2:34 AM in response to Jan Hedlund

Addendum

The Color StyleWriter 2200 can have a problem feeding the paper properly. A pick-up roller cleaning tool kit (difficult to find) was used to take care of this. If not available, one may have to disassemble the printer (or possibly try to clean the roller by means of a sponge tip from the outside).

The CSW 2200 (without the AC adapter) runs on 13 V DC, so it should not be impossible to find a solution for use in a car (without the CSW 2200 battery add-on). Together with an old PowerBook you would have a mobile office. A mobile phone with a built-in "modem" and a suitable data cable may even allow you to connect to the Internet (typically, 9600 bps only with plain GSM; sufficient for email, or text-based web browsing via WannaBe).

BTW, whenever possible, use the printer drivers provided by the (7.5.3 to 9.x) operating system. If necessary, carry out a custom installation.

Jan

Jun 25, 2006 12:29 PM in response to Jan Hedlund

Hi
Thanks for all the info and links, took my B&W apart for cleaning and repair yesterday and never fired up the beige to come to the forums to check on this.
My problems with apple talk has been manyfold...as computer will not see printers, other computers, and have tried both ports, with numerous settings on each to no avail. It is so much easier to add a true "plug and play" device and be up and using it in minutes instead of wks...
Thanks appalosa mac man----and jan for your info and links will get to them later tonite and will post back with what i've learned. Bill J

Jun 27, 2006 2:43 AM in response to william jaderberg

Hi again
Finally got around to working on this 2200 stylewriter, and Jan you were right about the paper feed, I have it working in 9.2 but can't get it to show up in panther, will this work in X. It prints just as fast as my 1610pcs, but only has black ink in it. I have a color for it, but I guess it needs a cradle, or adapter to fit in there right.
I went thru the links, do I need to have that hooked up running in 9.2 and share it on a local network? I have 3 macs (2 beige & a B&W) plus a pc hooked to a dsl modem. I have been keeping my eyes open in my shopping and haven't run across any swithches yet.
Any help getting this to work in X if possible would be welcome, I tried it with apple talk active...it searches for drivers...but never finds it...with classic running. I tried network utility, and network settings is it a driver problem in X? thanks all Bill J

Jun 27, 2006 9:57 AM in response to Appaloosa mac man

Hi appalosa mac man
It's been unbearable the last 2-3 days here, hotter than well you know....My main computer is still my beige running at 400mgz, and have been holding off again networking these all together until I have a switch or a hub. From what everyone (including you have said) a switch would be easier than a hub, and from what I've read with a hub I would have to manually address all stations... as with me, they are constantly changing as I buy and sell. Computers and printers, are my main additions and subtractions
I normally use panther, but could set my spare beige to start into 9.2... I don't have a server, as the software is too dear for me to even consider, I am not cheap, but like to have my hobby pay for itself as I upgrade my computers....and learn.
I picked up a pc about a month ago at a yard sale, and bought it (5.00) including keyboard and speakers. I figured if I could not get it to work I could strip it for parts worth that much. It turns out that it is a anthon processor running at 1.2 and after about 2wks finally have it up and working. As much as I hate to admit, adding programs, printers, cd-wr's has been alot easier than the g3's, and can find parts for it anywhere in town...I have to shop and order online for all my mac parts, if I don't have a spare. Well I hope your a little cooler over there in (Spokane) right? but I hear your as hot as us.. keep cool, just don't jump in the river if you can't swim.... Bill J

Jun 27, 2006 10:15 AM in response to william jaderberg

Bill J,

I can't tell for sure, but it sounds like you're trying to get the Stylewriter 2200 to work in OS X, rather than only trying to share it around the network under 9.2. I found a thread that explains how to use the "Foomatic" drivers and ESP Ghostscript to use a 2200/2400/2500 to print from OS X that may be helpful. Here's the thread:

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?messageID=1643877&#1643877

The solution they talk about is both hardware (Keyspan converter) as well as software drivers.

Also, if you were using Tiger, there is a basic incompatibility when it comes to sharing things with an OS 9 machine due to a change to TCP/IP file sharing versus the Apple Filing Protocol (AppleTalk-based). However, it appears that you are using Panther, so that may not factor in.

Blessings,

Fred

PB G4 1.67GHz 15" | 1GB | 80GB Mac OS X (10.4.6) Wallstreet PB, iMac G3 400 & 500, iMac 233 (Bondi), PowerComputing now 400MHz G3

Jun 27, 2006 10:24 AM in response to william jaderberg

Bill,

It is usually possible to make the CSW 2200 pick up paper as it should by carefully cleaning the rollers (with a slightly water-moistened plastic foam tip, or something similar).

Sorry, I do not know whether this printer can be made to work under Mac OS X. Hopefully, someone else can provide you with that information.

There are two types of cartridges. One has a large container for black ink only. The other cartridge has two containers; one for black ink and one with three colours. You will find all details in the manual (link above).

Since the CSW 2200 is not a network printer (only serial), it cannot be directly connected to a LocalTalk network. As mentioned earlier, it can be shared in a Macintosh environment, but there are many limitations. The best way to use the CSW 2200 is as a stand-alone printer.

Jan

Jun 28, 2006 12:34 AM in response to william jaderberg

Bill,

We are definately having August in June. Just got home from Spokane and driving at night is so much nicer. It was hot enough that both rear tires on a friend's truck lost their tread. Four hours apart, mind you, but still the same day!

Back to business, I used the term 'server' loosely. Having one OS 9 machine act as a print server/file server will be the best work around for printing.

Correction, the hub will not have to manually address all stations each time. We have hubs and switches from Computer Renaisance, WSU, a recycler, a school district and one new one on sale at Staples. (Yes, I actually set foot into a retail store!)

We set up five all-in-one G3s with a hub, configured the names of each machine, swapped a file and then disconnected the hub. We then connected a switch on the fly. Created a file and shared it. Then we swapped the ethernet cables to another hub, switched on the fly and created and shared files, then another hub.

We never had to reboot, reassign addresses or change network configurations. The shared folders did not even leave the desktop while all wires were disconnected.

As for the PC? Nothing wrong with tinkering with the dark side. lol. The reason for preconfigured Macs is that most do not want to tinker. Engineers are happy to tweak a machine ad infinitum.

Jim

Jun 28, 2006 12:51 AM in response to Appaloosa mac man

Hi appalosa mac man
That does happen in this heat, as a road warrior for over 30yrs I have experienced that more than once...especially if using caps.
Like I said I have been keeping my eyes open at CWU sales and they haven't had any lately. Your setup sounds good, but what about adding new stations all the time that will only be there for a short time? Just add #'s to a name? CWU is due for a sale any time now and will check again.
We have a breeze tonight and it has cooled off to be bearable to sleep...hope you and yours are well. Bill J

Jun 28, 2006 8:50 AM in response to william jaderberg

Bill,

My second son and a friend were learning how to network so they were doing most of the configuring. They did not set any numbers. I am sure they just used the DHCP setting in the TCP/IP controp panel.

We added a network laser printer to round out the test and it popped up without any fuss as well. No number setting to add devices. Same story on the mini, each new laser printer from WSU shows up dynamically. About nine of them.

Next time you are in Seattle, check into RE PC recycling near the Mariners ball field. They have a selection of everything from G4s to drive trays.

Coming this direction to Spokane will not give you one stop shopping. I closed down the last Mac only store in Eastern Washington in 1999. It was a total joke watching all the PC people get ready for Y2K. A real estate escrow office next door was changing software that would give them WYSIWYG deeds. They were so excited and wanted to show off their non-Word Perfect software. Filemaker Plus gave me that in 1985. =: b It is hard to be humble when talking to non-Mac users.

Jim

APPLE/COLOR STYLEWRITER MOBILE 2200

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.