Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Verizon iPhone 5s: Is it SIM-unlocked for use with GSM carriers (outside the U.S.)?

This is true for the iPhone 5 and I need a confirmation from an iPhone 5s owner who has tried a GSM SIM insertion in the the Verizon iPhone 5s - and found that a GSM service is recognized by the iPhone!

Thanks!

Posted on Sep 21, 2013 9:40 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 22, 2013 8:37 AM

unlocked for international carriers, but not for US carriers. AT&T and Sprint will not work on Verizon iPhone 5s

55 replies

Sep 22, 2013 9:18 AM in response to Karan K.

Thank you for your reply - but I'm looking for a clarification. Have you or someone you know tried inserting a Tmobile/Att SIM in the verizon 5s - and found it to NOT work? The iphone 5 actually did recognize and work with any GSM SIM, so I'm looking for a direct confirmation. I'm also not sure if the identical phone hardware (between vz and ATT/tmobile 5s) can be selectively locked for certain gsm providers (ATT/tmobile) but left unlocked for international gsm providers - so I'm curious and optimistic to know from someone's direct experience about this.

Sep 22, 2013 4:42 PM in response to Karan K.

Thanks, this is depressing, but at least appears factual. The Verizon rep. at store started with telling me that the phone internals are different for VZ and other U.S. carriers (which I know isn't true for at least ATT & Tmobile, only the Sprint SKU is different because of the difference in Sprint's LTE bands), so it appears that this unlock prevention is software enforced.

http://www.extremetech.com/computing/166356-iphone-5s-and-5c-the-best-support-fo r-3g-and-4g-lte-networks-worldwide

What I'm surprised by is that Verizon has done this blocking even for phones bought at full price - so they have just resorted to their old ways (after their welcome departure from it with the iPhone 5), I guess. At least they are leaving it unlocked for overseas carriers and not forcing roaming charges on you - something to be thankful for.

Sep 23, 2013 7:52 PM in response to solster

I'm not sure the specific conditions of the phone in the video but I just upgraded to the 5s on Verizon and it has successfully accepted a T-Mobile sim. I've places several calls on the T-Mobile LTE network with no problem. Based on the video I recommend he get a true T-Mobile micro sim card. The version in the video is clearly cut from a normal sim, which can alwalys lead to problems. Verizon legally cannot lock LTE devices moving forward, based on there agreement with the FCC. Hope this helps. Also my device was purchased at a Apple store not Verizon.

Oct 9, 2013 9:46 AM in response to solster

I purchased a VZW phone yesterday from Apple and then went to the AT&T store for a SIM card. The card was activated without an IMEI number and all features seemed to work except the hotspot function.

I used the online chat function this morning from my desktop machine and the rep converted my account into an "iPhone" account so that the mobile hotspot would work. In doing so, I lost the ability to send/receive SMS/MMS. According to the AT&T rep, the deivce was being treated as data only in their system. They have opened a ticket and will be escalating the issue. I am hopeful they can force a change behind the scenes. If not, I will move to a new IMEI from an Android phone to get access to the SMS/MMS functionality again.

B

Feb 7, 2014 8:43 PM in response to Randall J.

Hey, I have a question for everyone. I'm planning to buy a new iPhone for my mom abroad. I read this post and thought about this. If I buy an iPhone 5s on the apple store (currently 64GB is $399) locked to Verizon, will this immediately work abroad? I mean, can I just take it abroad, open the brand new box put and GSM simcard and that's it. Or do I need to have an account with Verizon first? Basically my problem is about activation.

Verizon iPhone 5s: Is it SIM-unlocked for use with GSM carriers (outside the U.S.)?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.