Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

6th Gen Nano won't play content longer than 1440 minutes

Audible.com now allows for single file download of audio books which can be sync'd to iPod. However the iPod cannot plan content longer than 24 hours in length. You will ned to download the segmented audio if the program is longer than 1440 minutes long.

iPod nano, Other OS, 6th Gen Nano Version 1.2

Posted on Sep 21, 2013 10:18 AM

7 replies

Sep 21, 2013 1:30 PM in response to Xevio.us

Where does this "1440 minutes" number come from? Is there a document that states such a number? If so, can you link to it?

How large is that single audio file? The actual limit may be a size limit for a single file, in the disk format used by the iPod (or some other limit that is based on file size). So, it may not be the length of the audio file, but a technical limit.

Feb 26, 2014 11:15 AM in response to Xevio.us

Hi, just found this after Googling the same problem. I hope this will help other Audible.com users who like long biographies and the like, but can't play them to the end on their iPods.

My iPod Nano is a gen 7, and either starts stuttering like a stuck LP record or jumps back to page one of the audiobook after flawlessly playing a good part of a long book. I suppose it must be about 24 hours into it, as it didn't falter on a 23+ hour book. My laptop and my Kindle would play the books all the way to the end, so it wasn't a problem with the files themselves. The local Apple store tried reinstalling the iPod's firmware, to no avail, so they gave me a new iPod. I had the same problem with the new device.

Today I had a talk with a supervisor in the Apple support group who was sympathetic and said that she would refer the issue to their engineeriing staff and get back to me. In the meantime, I talked with Audible.com, and the support guy there solved the problem for me. All you have to do is sign in to your Audible account, go to your Library, and find the "Audio Quality" button at the upper right corner. Mine was on "Enhanced", and he had me switch it to "Format 4". That resulted in all the audiobooks in the library to be displayed as both a single file and as multiple files (Part 1, 2, 3, etc.). I was able to download the final parts and successfully listened to them on my iPod.

Nonetheless, this does seem like an issue that Apple would want to address with a software enhancement.

Jan 2, 2015 8:10 AM in response to rva23113

I've run across the same problem. But, you do not have to switch formats. If you are using the enhanced format, locate the title in your audible library and then click the triangle in front of the title. That will display the segmented audio files as well as the single file. When I posed the time limit to audible they suggested no more than 23 hours and the ipod would work fine.

6th Gen Nano won't play content longer than 1440 minutes

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.