Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iTunes could not connect to this ipad. Could not allocate a resource

I updated my itunes to work with the new IOS7 and all of sudden, ever i device I own will no longer work with itunes.

Every device, my ipad, my iphone, my wifes iPhone, my kids iPads, all say "iTunes could not connect to this iPad (or iPhone if it's a phone, etc). Could not allocate a resource.

I'm not sure what's causing it and I'm not finding any posting while searching google, etc, for info about this. Most of the postings are back from 2012 with nothing new. I tried the 2012 suggestions and that did not fix anything. At this moment, I have a ton of i devices that can't add music or anything to them as they are not seen by iTunes either directly connected to the computer or when on the same wireless network and connected to 110v power.

I do see some other posts on the apple support pages but the only solution seems to be deleting the files in the lockdown folder and that does not resolve the issue for me.

If anyone has any suggestions, I'd appreciate it.

iMac, OS X Mountain Lion

Posted on Sep 21, 2013 10:54 AM

73 replies

Sep 24, 2013 12:41 AM in response to rodeman

Problem is on the Mac OS .

I have on my Macbook a virtual Windows 7 partition and no problem to sync my Iphone 4S (IOS 6.1) with Itunes 11.

I am having problems on MAC OS to backup my Iphone since Itunes 10 but syncing was working fine; now it's worse.

Never had problems with Windows 7 backup or syncing on the same Mac.

Apple should work on this.

Sep 25, 2013 7:19 PM in response to rodeman

I had this issue after I updated my IOS devices to version 7 and had to reinstall the the operating system to my MacBook Pro for unrelated reasons. I did reinstall iTunes as suggested, but through trial and error realized that there was one more step. iTunes asked me if I wanted to allow it to control the IOS devices and respond on the IOS devices. Once I did that, the problem was solved. Apparently, iTunes wants a handshake with the IOS device.

Sep 26, 2013 12:16 AM in response to bscooper547

I tried to install Itunes again but I don't see this step you are talking about.

What I noticed is that when Itunes cannot connect to the Iphone, other applications like Diskaid or Itools are not able to connect (Diskaid says that my device is password protected and exists but it is not, and Itools does not even see the iphone). When i install Itunes again, all applications work until I reboot the macbook. Something seems to lock the iphone - is this a driver problem with Itunes? If so, it's a MacOs driver issue because on Windows, everything is fine.

Sep 26, 2013 3:54 AM in response to cisit

It seems that you issue is different than the one I encountered. I found the following post from last year and tried this first and it did not work:

"

1. Disconnect all iOS devices from your computer and quit iTunes.
  2. From the Finder, choose Go > Go to folder.
  3. Type the following and then press Return:
    /var/db/lockdown
  4. Choose View > as Icons.
  5. The Finder window should display one or more files with long alphanumeric file names.
  6. In the Finder, choose Edit > Select all. Then, choose File > Move to Trash. Enter an administrator password if prompted.
    Note: Do not delete the Lockdown folder itself. Delete only the files contained inside the Lockdown folder.
  7. Reconnect your iOS device and open iTunes."

I had an Apple Support representative sharing the screen with me when I reinstalled iTunes and fixed the issue with my computer. She said she was not familiar with this issue but would talk to her supervisors. Clearly yu can get this error message for more than one reason.

Sep 27, 2013 1:36 AM in response to cisit

On my Mac I went to the apple symbol, clicked on sofware update, there were 3 for my macbook pro retina (new last week), I installed them and the problem went away.

i'm now on 10.8.5 if that means anything

no I havent rebooted it to see if anything changes. but it required a restart with the sofware update.

iTunes could not connect to this ipad. Could not allocate a resource

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.