Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Merging/Moving iTunes without using migration asst

I have maybe one of the most bizarre, confusing questions that I hope some genius out there can help me with.

I currently have two machines: an iMac and a Macbook Pro. Both are running the latest versions of all software including OS X.

Currently my iMac is my "primary" machine in that it's the hardware I use to sync my iPhone and iPad (I don't use iCloud for backups as the storage capacity is too low). It stores all my music, movies, apps, etc. I also use it randomly for web browsing, etc.

In terms of a true "primary" though, my Macbook Pro is, in that I use the mbp for Applications, Documents, Photos, etc. I use this machine for web development, my photography business (processing/selective image archiving, etc.), and basically everything else, on a daily basis.

My dilemma is this. I just want to move all my iTunes stuff to the mbp and use that as the primary hardware for managing/syncing my iPhone/iPad because at some point I want to get rid of the iMac. It appears Migration Asst isn't the right tool for this as the step just before transferring asks about creating a new home folder username (both machines have the same home folder name, my first name). I don't want two accounts on the mbp; I'd just like one account as I have it but with all my data vs using one machine for syncs and one machine daily as my primary. The iTunes app on my mbp is clean so there just has to be a way I can move everything over without corruption??

Pipe dream: I'd like to retain all meta data for my iTunes library... it's over 7 years old with lots of customizations.

Thoughts?

Thank you!

Christine

OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.5)

Posted on Sep 21, 2013 12:34 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 21, 2013 12:49 PM

On the iMac, look in your user folder/Music and then copy the iTunes Library to the Macbook Pro user folder/Music. If they are on the same network, the Macbook Pro should be under Shared and you can do a copy from Finder.

5 replies

Sep 22, 2013 7:55 AM in response to christine

As far as I know it has all the assets of iTunes. Mine has even more items than your screenshot showed. The Macbook Pro should already have an iTunes folder, so unless you need to keep it for some reason, you can move it to the desktop and then delete it once you get iTunes working. Once you get it to the Macbook Pro, if Macbook Pro's iTunes doesn't automatically pick it up, go to iTunes Preferences/Advanced, which will let you select it.

Merging/Moving iTunes without using migration asst

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.