Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is there a way to randomly play podcasts and music in ios7?

Hi. I might be what you'd call, a podcast oversubscriber. On top of that, I have a ton of music, too. Before apple split the podcast app from the music app, I created a few smart playlists that podcasts & songs together -- which was great for long car trips. I corralled stuff I wanted to listen to & pressed shuffle. (Of course, I had to uncheck that annoying "don't shuffle" option on ALL my podcasts). But it worked & I was happy.

Now, I'm pretty bummed. All the podcasts are stripped from the smart playlists I've made on my iPhone's music app and I can't shuffle anything from the stupid podcast app -- unless I'm missing something. If I am, please let me know.

...or is there a 3rd party app that let's me do what I want?

iPhone 4S, iOS 7

Posted on Sep 21, 2013 1:08 PM

4 replies

Sep 22, 2013 6:02 PM in response to parallax1

Unfortunately, anything with "Media Kind = Podcast" will now play ONLY in the Podcasts app, and not in the Music app. And Media Kind = Music or Audiobook will not play in the Podcast app. Apple does not want you to mix podcasts with music or audiobooks. (WHY they've made this decision is beyond me!)

My current solution: I've changed all of my downloaded podcasts to Media Kind = Music, or Media Kind = Audiobook. Now they behave the way I want to, and they're all in the Music app on the iPhone (well, according to the smart playlists I've set up to sync). The Podcasts app is gone from my iPhone.

I don't particularly like this solution: for one thing, it means every podcast that I've changed is then re-downloaded, and I have to mark the redundant copies as played, and then the next podcast sync gets rid of them. But it's the best way I've found so far to restore the old functionality that I've been using since whenever I started listening to podcasts, 7-8 years ago. Apple, alas, makes that functionality more difficult to maintain with each "upgrade".

But I'll be researching Downcast and other options soon.

Sep 23, 2013 3:44 AM in response to MattRothphoto

I always use the Podcast playback through Siri, well, until now.

IOS 7 seems like a step backwards where the nice look and feel we've become used to has gone, in favour of horid washed out icons that dont work over anything lighter than a mid gray backdrop.

the loss of Siri control of podcast playback is reduculous. being a motorbiker, i cannot control podcasts at all via Siri, and stopping to cue up another podcast for playback is not a viable option.

If anyone that has access to the Apple feature Dev list is reading this, please restore Siri control over the podcast playback now!!

Why they split it out of the music app is beyond me... it was so good just saying 'play new podcasts' and getting chain of music in your ears.

Andy

Is there a way to randomly play podcasts and music in ios7?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.