Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cannot connect to Japanese iTunes Store on laptop

So here's what happened. I recently gave my Windows 7 laptop to my friend because I was gifted a new laptop with Windows 8 (I know. Everyone hates it. Not much I can do about that.). Prior to doing so, I reformatted the HDD so that way he had a fresh OS on there. However, I forgot to back up my music I downloaded from iTunes. I have two iTunes accounts, one for the American store and the other for the Japanese. Since everything I downloaded on the former laptop is gone, I wanted to transfer whatever purchases I have left on my iPhone for music and apps from both stores on my new laptop. So I deauthorized my former laptop plus another computer so that way my new laptop was the only authorized PC for iTunes. Once I connected my iPhone (which still had iOS 6.1.3) to my laptop to sync, the following message popped up.

- This computer is no longer authorized for apps that are installed on the iPhone "XXXX's iPhone". Would you like to authorize this computer for items purchased from the iTunes Store? If you do not authorize this computer, 2 apps, including "ANA", and their data will be deleted from this iPhone.

Cancel Authorize Don't Authorize -

When I click "Authorize", then this error message pops up.

- The iTunes Store is temporarily unavailable. Please try again later. -

I've been getting that error message in iTunes since Thursday night on both my laptop and when I try to connect on my iPhone (while being disconnected from my laptop). However, I updated my iPhone early this afternoon to iOS 7 and I'm able to successfully connect to the Japanese iTunes Store through my iPhone. It's just through my laptop now that's the issue. I need to be able to sync the apps and the music I purchased from the Japanese version onto this new laptop of mine. Until that happens, I believe everything I purchased through the American and Japanese store is stuck on my phone. How can I resove this issue? Any suggestions how I can authorize it? Why am I getting the error message mentioned above? Sorry for the lengthy description, but I wanted to make sure everyone knew the details. If you need further clarification, let me know!

iPhone 4S, iOS 6.1.3, Windows 8 OS (Toshiba laptop)

Posted on Sep 21, 2013 1:47 PM

12 replies

Oct 1, 2013 2:17 AM in response to Jetlink314

Hy Jetlink314.

My issue was (and is, since it keeps re-appearing) with the US store. I have an account on the French store that has been working flawlessly.

The issue seemingly being with cookies, you could try deleting the cookies possibly been used by iTunes.

In addition to the YourUserName\AppData\Roaming\Apple Computer\iTunes\Cookies folder you can also try these :

- Instead of only the "Roaming" folder within "AppData", also check within other folders (I have Local and LocalLow)

- clear the Cookies folders in anything in "Apple Computer" or "Apple" and not only "Apple Computer/iTunes"

- check the equivalent folders for other users of the computers, in "C:\Users\WhateverExistsHereonYourPC\" and not only"C:\Users\YourUserName\"

Did this help?

Oct 1, 2013 6:12 PM in response to jerome1989

Hey Jerome,

I've checked the other folders you mentioned (i.e. Local and LocalLow) and didn't see any other folders with labeled cookies. Went searching through other folders as well and didn't see anything else with Apple or Apple Computer labeled. Maybe there's something else that needs to be changed or deleted? What do you think?

Thanks again in advance for your help!

Oct 1, 2013 6:18 PM in response to Jetlink314

How were you able to access the Japanese iTunes store? The reason it is unavailable is because the region you are in is the US (I assume). You can't theoretically download Japanese or European content in the US unless your I.P address shows that you are from that point of origin, in which iTunes will connect to the appropriate store.

Oct 1, 2013 6:29 PM in response to kevbot96

Anyone can access the store, however if you want to download content you need to have an address and phone number (both of which I have) associated with Japan (I live in the US) and a separate email address that is not already associated with an iTunes account. Keeping that in mind, there are many web sites that sell all types of Japanese merchandise, one of them being an iTunes store card for the Japanese store. Their instructions read that as long as you have those two things I mentioned (Japanese addy and phone #) you can download content from their using that and the gift card you purchase. So I created my new account with a separate email address, Japanese addy and phone #, punched in the gift card info and was downloading music and apps with no problems.

All of this worked while I was using a Windows 7 laptop. When I upgraded to Windows 8, I login to the US store with no problem whatsoever but not the Japanese. I keep getting the "iTunes store is unavailable" error. I feel like it is OS related because I tested it again signing in on another Win7 PC and was able to sign in with no problem. I can even sign in using my iPhone 4S. Just can't do it on this stupid new laptop with Windows 8! >:/

Oct 1, 2013 6:55 PM in response to kevbot96

I know. So simple, right? LOL

Just to be sure I understood you, you're suggesting that I download my content off of a Win7 PC and transfer it to my Win8 laptop? I could, I don't have another PC where I can do that on. The other PC I tested on was a work PC and we can't use that for personal affairs. *****, but that's my reality. 😢

Cannot connect to Japanese iTunes Store on laptop

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.