Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Hi, after I installed IOS 7, my safari homepage is shown in Chinese. How to change it to English?

Hi, after I installed IOS 7, my safari homepage is shown in Chinese. How to change it to English?

iPad, iOS 7

Posted on Sep 21, 2013 1:58 PM

8 replies

Oct 3, 2013 12:16 AM in response to T2ddy

Hi everyone,

I just ran across this issue myself. Very odd to say the least. The language seems fine everywhere except the "favorites" which appear when you open Safari without a current website open. (kind of similar to where a home page would appear). These are not the same as all of your bookmarks, they are more of a "bookmarks bar" equilvalent that you would see when opening a new tab.

I tried it all to fix this, only to find that Apple is currently investigating the issue.

For those having this issue, you can call AppleCare, (even if you are out of warranty, since this is an iOS 7 issue, atleast for US and Canada customers) to get assistance. 1-800-APL-CARE for US and Canadian customers. It seems Apple's Engineering team is collecting data on this issue right now, though I am not aware of exactly what is being employeed to fix it.

If you don't want to call AppleCare or visit an Apple Store, I will say from personal experience that all of the basic troubleshooting steps failed to fix this issue.

It seems you may want to consider creating an iCloud or iTunes backup. I would also strongly recommend that you sync with iTunes, transfer your purchases in iTunes, and import your camera roll to a computer. And then restoring your device as new using iTunes. And after the restore try restoring from your iTunes or iCloud backup. This should take care of it.

However in extreme cases, it can take restoring and setting up as a new device (and syncing all the data you can back instead of using any kind of backup) to resolve stubborn issues, when they are based in your settings or content.

I hope this helps a little.

Oct 7, 2013 8:10 PM in response to T2ddy

I have the same problem as heather1021. After upgrading to iOS 7, in the line where favorites should be, I have six Chinese character sites and iCloud as a seventh site. I tried going into bookmarks but they don't show up there so I can't delete them. I don't want to spend hours trying to fix this, and the last time Apple talked me through a fix on my iPhone (two calls and an in person visit plus replaced phone), I lost all of my photos because supposedly if I re-synched my new phone to the backup with the photos, the non-functioning software made it likely that my replacement iPhone wouldn't work - argh. Any other ideas on how to get rid of the Chinese "favorites".

Oct 25, 2013 1:44 PM in response to Aosoxfan

I had the same problem and fixed it as follows:

1) in Safari click on the open book, the favourites and history icon, between the address bar and the cloud icon

2) once the menu appears navigate to bookmarks

3) click on Favourites

4) within Favourites you should have all Chinese icons, to remove the click on edit at the bottom of the Favourites menu and remove them one by one

I do wonder how they got there in the first place. Hopefully this just a case on poor testing by Apple.

Kind regards,

Nov 25, 2013 7:19 PM in response to T2ddy

So I did what Apple suggested and went to settings, international, language, English, done and it didn't fix the problem. What worked for me is that while you're in the language section, right below the language selection there is one called keyboard. Mine had two keyboards chosen. I opened it and realized one of those keyboards was Chinese (the other was English). Push Edit and delete the Chinese keyboard and that should fix your problem. That's all it took for me. Best of luck...stuff like this will drive you nuts.

Dec 7, 2013 12:59 PM in response to Rhonda227

Same happened to me. As per Rhonda227's comment, I'll agree that it seems to be related to the input methods active at the time of upgrade - i.e what the phone thought your preferred location was, based on installed languages or input settings.

To fix, go to Bookmarks from the tool-bar at the bottom of the screen and select Favourites, and then you can delete the Chinese items and/or edit the list.

http://blog.duncanworthy.me/misc/ios7-safari-chinese-bookmarks/

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.