Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Airport express music cutting out

Hi everyone! I am having some difficulties with my airport express. We have had it for a few years and been happy streaming music to it from our iPads. Recently xfinity sent a new modem that is both a modem and a router. I thought it would be better. I hooked that up and connected our computers and our airport express. Now when we play through the airplay it cuts out in the middle of songs for a few seconds then comes back. I noticed that our new xfinity modem doesn't have as strong of signal as our old setup, but that is not the cause, because it tested it. I feel like I've exhausted every single option. I tried plugging our old router into the new xfinity device and switching to the old connection for airplay, but that's worse, it connects and doesn't sound. After a while the airplay icon just disappears. The last thing I was goi to try was ask xfinity to disable the wifi part of the modem and use my old router, but I fear I'll encounter the same issue as I did when I tried connecting it. My airport is updated to the latest firmware. I have mountain lion and an iPad with ios 7 on it. Also I don't know it having too many devices connected to the xfinity modem would be a problem. Any ideas? I appreciate the help.

Buggy687

iMac, OS X Mountain Lion

Posted on Sep 21, 2013 3:39 PM

11 replies

Sep 21, 2013 7:33 PM in response to buggy687

Be sure that you configured the Express to join your wireless network in client mode:

AirPort Express: How to join an existing Wi-Fi network in client mode

Locate the Express as close as possible to your Xfinity modem / router so that it can receive the strongest possible signal. If the Xfinity device is capable of using the relatively interference - free 5 GHz spectrum, use it. The 2.4 GHz spectrum can be a hopeless mess in anything other than remote areas, and music or video streaming will make its limitations frustratingly obvious.

Xfinity's new router may or may not be any stronger or weaker than your previous one. The most likely change to have occurred is a proliferation of wireless devices in your area, a problem that is accelerating with every new wireless device produced.

A wired connection is always preferable since it eliminates the environmental variables associated with wireless networking, so if at all possible, connect it that way.

Sep 21, 2013 8:37 PM in response to buggy687

Adding a 5 GHz - capable wireless router is almost certain to mitigate the effects of wireless interference. You would need to disable the Xfinity's router function so that it will function strictly as a modem.

You can determine for yourself whether wireless interference is likely to be a causal factor preventing reliable music streaming. To do that, hold an option key while you click your Mac's Wi-Fi User uploaded file icon, and choose Open Wireless Diagnostics...

The following authentication dialog will appear:

User uploaded file

Authenticate with your Admin password, then click the Continue button in the following:

User uploaded file

The network analysis and diagnostic tests will take several minutes to complete:

User uploaded file

When it completes, if your wireless network is functioning properly the following will result:

User uploaded file

If something is amiss, supposedly the results will be different and you will be presented with helpful information.

Assuming your connection is "working as expected" select Continue to summary and click Continue:

User uploaded file

Ignore the pre-populated text field, which is provided as a place for you to type in helpful information should Apple ask for it in the course of obtaining technical assistance from them. Apple has no way of knowing where your router is located in your home, and certainly doesn't know if you even have an upstairs bedroom closet.

Click Continue.

The next step will also take a few minutes:

User uploaded file

When it finishes, you will be presented with a summary that may or may not be useful to you. Let me know if it is.

The WirelessDiagnostics-xxx.tar.gz file deposited on your Desktop can be dragged to the Trash, or you may wish expand it and examine its contents. It's up to you.

Nov 28, 2013 8:05 AM in response to buggy687

I'm guessing none of these answers helped much ?

That's probably because they are all wrong or if not wrong then just misguided 🙂

I had this problem on and off sporadcally for years and could never work out what the problem was.

I found a simple solution:

1. Add the Airport Express to your network with an Ethernet cable. If possible DO NOT join via wireless.

2. Open Airport Utility. Click on 'Other WiFi Devices'

3. Update the firmware on the Airport Express if possible.

(The Airport Utility on Mountain Lion & Mavericks will upgrade you to 7.3.4 - This is what you need)

4. Set to Connect via DHCP.

5. Create a new wireless network. Give it a cool name 🙂

6. Set the express to BRIDGE MODE.

7. Turn on the airplay setting.

8. Add passwords for connection and for the Airport Express admin.

If you now connect to this new wireless network you will still have internet access and the airplay will work without any droputs. Et Voila!

You will still be able to access the Airport Express from your 'Original' network but don't be fooled, as this connection although working is what causes the problems in my experience 🙂

Hope this helps and allows you to use your Airport Express again.

Mine sat gathering dust until the new firmware update and this technique brought it back to life 🙂)

tim x

Dec 7, 2013 11:08 AM in response to gaialive

Thank you gaialive! Haven't tried it out yet, but i configured it. Hopefully it will fix my problem. I will let you know. An update to my situation though is that i upgraded my xfinity modem(still only 2.5ghz), but i attached my old router which had 5ghz/2.5ghz and i use that one for everything and pretend my xfinity one isn't there.

Thanks for the help.

buggy687

Dec 7, 2013 7:35 PM in response to buggy687

Thanks. Minimizing any wireless links is always beneficial for bandwidth - demanding tasks such as AirPlay streaming. At present your AirPort is acting as a wireless client to your Cisco wireless router. That is likely to be the "weak link" and the one that should use 5 GHz if the Cisco offers that capability. If the iMac is the source for iTunes music streaming, its wireless connection should also be using 5 GHz.

In both cases, if it is at all possible to connect them to the Cisco router with an Ethernet cable it is certain to solve the music pauses and dropouts.

Though your diagram shows the iPad connected to the AirPort, it is more likely connecting to the Cisco wireless router. The way your network is configured it can't receive an Internet connection from the AirPort.

Airport express music cutting out

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.