Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

AirPort Express doesn't stream music

Using an AirPort Express, an 802.11n, set up with an existing router (a Linksys), I don't see a setting for Cient mode to use it for streaming audio to my stereo. How do I do it?

Mac Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Sep 21, 2013 5:49 PM

10 replies

Sep 21, 2013 9:37 PM in response to mgod99

mgod99 wrote:

Is client mode exclusively for cable-connected streaming?

No, not at all, it's totally unrelated to Internet music. An Express in client mode will stream iTunes music from your Mac Pro just fine.

If you have a MacBook Pro (early 2011 or newer), or similar age iMac, Mini, or MBA, and you upgrade to Mountain Lion, all system audio can be directed to your Express using AirPlay Mirroring:

About AirPlay Mirroring in OS X Mountain Lion

... but anything running any recent version of iTunes can stream music to the Express.

Sep 22, 2013 12:06 PM in response to mgod99

Have you tried to connect to the ape in router mode without it connected to the linksys? Have your Mac connect directly to the ape wirelessly. Then test airplay. It should work. After you prove the ape is functioning correctly then you will have to connect ape to linksys in bridge mode. With airplay all devices have to be in the same subnet range.

If you use a /16 subnet you may be able to have the linksys use 172.16.0.1 and the ape use 172.16.1.1--then the providers router as the gateway of 172.16.0.254

/16 is 255.255.0.0 subnet mask

/23 is 255.255.254.0 this might be even better.

Another possibility is to get a AirPort Extreme and apple has it set up easy for connecting an apexpress to a apextreme.

AirPort Express doesn't stream music

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.