Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is there no good full screen Remote Desktop App?

Hi, I am trying to find the best way to remotely control my Macbook with my Mac Pro Desktop. I am looking for a full screen full graphics capable way of doing so similar to Microsoft Remote Desktop. It should basically feel as if I am on the computer. I have tried and used Team Veiwer, Chicken of the VNC and I have also tried to use clamshell mode that took me buying 3 different Mini Display Port to VGA connectors. Clamshell mode would work maybe but My Magic Mouse and my Apple Bluetooth Keyboard are all goofy with the distance and where my desk is apparently, I am in a recording studio and on the sides of my screen are large speakers for the studio. All I am trying to do here is work on my mac using an external monitor. CLamshell is no good it would seem ( worked great at the Apple store but here I think there is interference and there doesent seem to be any other place to put my macbook. I put it right in front of my mouse and keyboard and was in clam shell mode and it was very bad. I guess I could get a wired everything and re hook up everything all the time... This is annoying. Please share!

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8)

Posted on Sep 21, 2013 5:54 PM

5 replies

Sep 21, 2013 7:22 PM in response to djmichaelwenz

Have you tried the built-in Screen Sharing?

To Share [read: Make available for others] use:

System Preferences > Sharing > Screen Sharing ... to specify who can connect.

To start to use the Shared screen, The Application here:

/System/Library/CoreServices/Screen Sharing.app

can be dragged into the Dock for easy access.

---------

I do not understand how clamshell mode can possibly figure in the problem you described.

It would help Readers if you broke your thoughts into paragraphs instead of the dense stream-of-consciousness you presented in your original writing.

Sep 21, 2013 7:28 PM in response to djmichaelwenz

If you want to use an external display, the best way to do that in a small space requires blocks of wood. Elevate the external display so that the MacBook can remain open directly below, and you can use the built-in keyboard and trackpad, as well as the additional space on the second display.

I am not a fan of closed-clamshell mode, and the cooling is not good with the lid closed.

Sep 21, 2013 7:40 PM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

The default for Macs is to add the External display to an edge of the built-in display and create an Extended Desktop. This picture gives an idea of how it works. The tiny screens can be dragged to represent the actual positions of the two screens on your bench, and the tiny MenuBar can be dragged to either display. The mouse moves seamlessly across the boundary between the displays, and can drag a window with it.

User uploaded file

Is there no good full screen Remote Desktop App?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.