Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is it possible to use an internal optical drive/ZIP drive mount from a PowerMac G4 Graphite in a PowerMac G4 Quicksilver?

Hello, All. Is it possible to use an internal optical drive/ZIP drive mount from a Power Mac G4 Graphite (Sawtooth) in a Power Mac G4 Quicksilver? Obviously, the two computers use physicly different mounts, but does anyone have any tips or hints to make this possible? I appreciate any advice.

PowerMac G4 Quicksilver 2002-OTHER, Mac OS X (10.5.8)

Posted on Sep 21, 2013 7:14 PM

5 replies

Sep 21, 2013 9:22 PM in response to BDAqua

Thank you for the helpful responce. However, the problem is the metal "cage", or caddy, that holds the optical and ZIP drives in position. More specificly, the screw holes are not in the same location. On the Graphite the screw holes are in the front of the caddy, and the Quicksilver does not have screw holes in the front.

Sep 21, 2013 11:53 PM in response to walsh1996

I think it would be more trouble than it's worth, given that the Graphite G4's Zip & DVD Drive carrier (Apple part # 922-3972) has (2) mounting tabs at the front, from which it's inserted into the chassis. The Quicksilver's carrier (Apple part # 922-4565) is installed and secured to the chassis internally, with attached metal tabs at specific points. I'd check ebay for a Quicksilver carrier because it will (obviously) be a more secure fit, eliminating vibration and noise. Did you acquire a Quicksilver chassis that was missing the carrier?

Sep 22, 2013 7:52 AM in response to Jeff

Indeed, I did acquire this computer without the drive carrier. I think you're correct about ordering a carrier on eBay. Although, I must say, I may be persistent and attempt to drill holes in the correct position in the front of the Quicksilver chassis. If that fails, I will have to purchase another carrier. Thank you for providing a solution for me.

Sep 22, 2013 9:40 AM in response to walsh1996

"I may be persistent and attempt to drill holes in the correct position in the front of the Quicksilver chassis."

Unfortunately, it's more than a case of drilling a couple of holes. The modification isn't really feasible, and after you remove the front panel from the Quicksilver case, you'll see what I mean. In the Optical/Zip drive area, the Quicksilver's front chassis wall isn't cut out the same way as previous models were. Prior to the Quicksilver models, the front plastic bezel (with the hinged Optical drive door and a blank or Zip-slotted bezel) was snapped in from the front, after the front panel was installed. The chassis wall had a large opening to accommodate installation/removal of the Optical and Zip drive carrier. As I indicated before, in the Quicksilver model, the Optical and Zip drive carrier is mounted internally. This is necessary because the front chassis wall has two separate openings cut in it. The upper opening is for the oval-shaped, hinged Optical drive door (snaps into place from the interior of the chassis) and the lower opening is a narrow slot for Zip disk insertion and the eject button. To use the Optical and Zip drive carrier from a Sawtooth G4 would require cutting the Quicksilver's front chassis wall, to create an opening large enough for the carrier. In doing this, you'd cut away the metal which has (7) small holes in it, through which the hinged door assembly's plastic mounting pins are inserted to properly position and secure it in place. If you don't want to lose the use of the hinged optical drive door, including the appearance of a seamless front panel, you can't cut away that metal. If you don't care about having a permanent oval opening in the front panel in front of the optical drive, you could attempt your modification. Because the Quicksilver's optical drive typically needs to have the trim piece unsnapped from the front of its tray, I'd want to retain the front panel's hinged door bezel to prevent excessive dust from entering the drive. As I recommended before, check ebay for a pulled carrier.

Is it possible to use an internal optical drive/ZIP drive mount from a PowerMac G4 Graphite in a PowerMac G4 Quicksilver?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.