Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Airport Extreme and Windows

Hi everyone I have been looking for a new router for my home network and have stumbled onto the Airport Extreme. I was looking for a router that would suport a external USB hard drive. I got worried about when I found out that the Airport does not suport NTFS but only FAT32 and HFS+. FAT32 is not a option because I have lots of files over 4GB I would like to put on the router's hard drive. My question is can I format the hard drive to HFS+ and be able to read/write on my PC's through the network. All of my home computers are runing Windows 7 and the only apple products that I own are a iPhone 5 and origional iPad.

Windows 7

Posted on Sep 21, 2013 7:26 PM

6 replies

Sep 21, 2013 9:13 PM in response to Jordan843

Jordan843 wrote:

... My question is can I format the hard drive to HFS+ and be able to read/write on my PC's through the network.

Since the Extreme supports NTFS and FAT32 formatted volumes, it stands to reason that it should support PCs accessing an HFS+ formatted volume equally well, so answer is yes... up to "through the network", which is the only uncertainty.

Mediafour's MacDrive will read and write HFS+ formatted volumes, but ask them if your application - a drive connected to the Extreme - is specifically supported.

Another option is Paragon Software's HFS+ for Windows 10.

Sep 22, 2013 9:31 AM in response to John Galt

Ok the problem is I am not interested in installing software to use the drives in HFS+. I have lots of computers and people bringing me their computers to work on. All the computers are windows based and I would like to be able to just map out the network drive to acess files quickly without having to install programs to make it work on every computer.

Sep 22, 2013 9:45 AM in response to John Galt

I think I just found what I was looking for on Wikipedia I know things can be edited on Wikipedia so can you verify this is corect?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AirPort

It should be noted that although Windows does not natively support HFS+, an HFS+ volume on an AirPort Disk can be easily accessed from Windows. This is because the SMB/CIFS protocol used to access the disk, and hence access from Windows is filesystem-independent. Therefore HFS+ is a viable option for Windows as well as OS X users, and more flexible than FAT32 as the latter has a 4 GiB file size limit.

What is SMB/CIFS protocol? This would allow it to work without added software right?

Airport Extreme and Windows

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.