Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Adding Keywords to a Project

I tried several methods to add keywords to images already imported. I tried the drag & drop method to images in the Browser and to the List View.

I also tried to perform a batch change to accomplish the same thing.

Why is it that RAW files will accept this adjustment, but the JPEG images remain untouched?

Aperture 3, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.4), running an iMac

Posted on Sep 21, 2013 10:06 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 22, 2013 12:00 AM

Have you enabled the "Primary Only" option? Then disable this option:

User uploaded file

Then only the primary selected image will take changes made in the Browser, see this user tip: Keywords or ratings are applied only to one of the selected images - why?

I have not yet noticed a difference between raw and jpeg with this option enabled. Do you see this when using "Batch Change" and applying the changes to the original files? What is your Aperture version? Batch changing has been buggy in this respect in earlier Aperture versions.

Regards

Léonie

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 22, 2013 12:00 AM in response to daikambu65

Have you enabled the "Primary Only" option? Then disable this option:

User uploaded file

Then only the primary selected image will take changes made in the Browser, see this user tip: Keywords or ratings are applied only to one of the selected images - why?

I have not yet noticed a difference between raw and jpeg with this option enabled. Do you see this when using "Batch Change" and applying the changes to the original files? What is your Aperture version? Batch changing has been buggy in this respect in earlier Aperture versions.

Regards

Léonie

Sep 22, 2013 6:29 AM in response to daikambu65

Primary only is not image type specific so unless you change that setting between keywording operations it is unlikely to resolve this.

Could you explain in more detail just what it is you tried on both the Raw and JPG images? Are the JPG images imported from the camera or were they brought into Aperture in some other way?

Are these images part of a Raw & JPG pair?

Sep 22, 2013 10:33 AM in response to Frank Caggiano

In addition to the keyword issue, I noticed in the Info brick that the EXIF settings (including lens info) wasn't carrying over from the camera. My Library, incidentally, is Referenced.

So I trashed all the imagines, and then re-imported them from an external disk. The EXIF info carried over.

I then did a drag & drop method of adding keywords, and everything worked well. I tried this both in Browser Mode and List View. So, the only thing I don't know at this point is whether Batch Change will do the same. As soon as I import some new photos, I'll try that.

This problem might have arisen a month or so back when I switched from a Managed Library to Referenced. Due to surgery, I haven't taken any pictures since June. That's all over now and I'll be out with the camera.

Adding Keywords to a Project

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.