Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iTunes keeps re-installing deleted apps

I used to have many apps and games on my phone and I recently deleted most of them, but now every time I sync my phone to put music on it, iTuns re-installs all of those old apps.

I went to the "Apps" tab in my iTunes and unchecked the "Automatically Install New Apps" but it doesn't make a difference.

How do I make this stop?

iPhone 4, iOS 7

Posted on Sep 21, 2013 9:31 PM

9 replies

Dec 13, 2013 8:56 AM in response to diesel vdub

Nope. Incorrect.

I have a phone that's restored from iCloud. iTunes as a result thinks it's just supposed to install all 1100 apps in my library onto the phone. No. I think not.

Try getting iTunes to not want to insist on installing all 1100 apps. There's a thread here somewhere but I can't find it anymore.

I'm sorry but I'm not deselecting 1100 apps. I also don't want to have to do a clean restore (which I did) because I have to put 280 apps back in 3 screens worth of folders. Yay. Thanks apple!

Dec 23, 2013 8:51 AM in response to ChooBoo

This was driving me nuts but I appear to have solved it. Here's what worked for me on both a Retina iPad Min running 7.0.3, and an iPhone 4s running 6.0.2:

First, tymptoms are that any app deleted from the iDevice, will always reappear as soon as I sync with iTunes. Automatically Download Apps is disabled, unchecking doesn't matter, etc.

Steps to fix:

1. Delete app from iDevice

2. Go to Settings > General > iTunes WiFi Sync.

3. Sync Now.

Now, when I sync either device via iTunes on my computer, the deleted apps no longer appear. Whew!!

Jan 15, 2014 3:06 AM in response to ChooBoo

Hi, Just gotta new iPhone 5S and I was really annoyed when the iTunes versions 11.1.3.8 kept installing the apps that I had on my old 4S. I just don't need all of them anymore but it looks like iTunes wanna push them somehow on new toy. After searching fix for it online, I played with iTunes. Selected my phone in iTunes and double clicked on screen where the unwanted apps are listed. Removed apps from there by clicking on the X (cross), just like we do on our phone or tabs. Resynced the phone and it got removed.

Feb 21, 2014 3:25 PM in response to ChooBoo

First, to what vanclute said: I can't get it to sync over wifi. Apple's own troubleshooting directions told me to sync it via the USB. But it keeps overfilling my phone and it can't ever get through. The only way I've ever been able to prevent iTunes from putting all the apps I've ever had back onto my iPhone (5, by the way) was to go into iTunes before I plug my phone in and delete every app in iTunes. Then when I sync it just transfers all the apps on my phone to iTunes. Now, there's no way this could possibly be considered a reasonable solution. Nothing else has ever worked for me though.

So now the's a software update for my phone but iI'm stuck in this sort of cycle of **** where I can't even get through syncing my phone.

Ok so what I just did was go through the apps pane and click the button to change the status to "will remove" then I clicked "apply." So far so good. I will, however, give you a word of caution: pack plenty of patience because this takes a long time. It's also worth noting that I don't know what's going to happen the next time I try to sync it.

I guess I'll just go ahead and update my software, take a deep breath, cringe and plug that baby back in. That way I can get back on here and provide an update to this where I'll let you know how it goes. Wish me luck.

Feb 22, 2014 8:08 AM in response to robalcoh

So I did that. But when I installed the iOS update somehow it decided to add "autofill" to my music and erased all my songs and began to randomly select songs to put on it. I haven't ever checked autofill and so there wasn't a box checked as to how it would autofill. So, as I don't care to have a random selection of music on my phone, I had to stop it.

I guess, at least, now I have plenty of space.

iTunes keeps re-installing deleted apps

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.