Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why is my iPhone 5S battery going so fast?

Today I charged my iPhone battery to 100% at 8 PM and took it off the charger. It is now 5 hours and 21 minutes later and my battery is at 16%. What is draining my battery? I'm not doing anything intensive on it except checking texts maybe every 15 minutes. I'm not surfing the web and all background tasks have been closed out. Someone thought it might be the dynamic background eating battery, but I changed it and my battery is still being eaten up. I've turned off wi-fi and bluetooth and I'm on LTE. The battery will litterally drain 3-5% just from sitting in my pocket for 15 minutes! Did I just get a phone with a bad battery or do I need to let the battery fully die and then recharge it to 100% after? I haven't let my phone die since I got it yesterday morning at 8 AM.

iPhone 5s, iOS 7

Posted on Sep 21, 2013 11:24 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 21, 2013 11:39 PM

You and me both my 5s is taking such a huge hit in battery it's not even funny u sound just like me with the 5s I never had this problem with my 5 and I also use LTE and I tether to my iPad mini all day and stream pandora and I could get a day easy out of my iPhone 5 but my 5s I'm lucky to get even 6 hours

18 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 21, 2013 11:39 PM in response to msumatt

You and me both my 5s is taking such a huge hit in battery it's not even funny u sound just like me with the 5s I never had this problem with my 5 and I also use LTE and I tether to my iPad mini all day and stream pandora and I could get a day easy out of my iPhone 5 but my 5s I'm lucky to get even 6 hours

Sep 21, 2013 11:48 PM in response to msumatt

Hey I fell u there bro me too I think the same but there out of stock of every **** 5s and no idea when they will get new stock in I plan to change to the gold color anyway if they ever get it in.

But as for the battery yes it's terrible I hope it's just a iOS 7 bug I turned off the app background refresh I'll see how thst goes once it finishes charging im using t mobile 5s 64gb if that helps anyone who could find out this **** battery issue

Sep 22, 2013 8:31 AM in response to msumatt

I'm having the same problem. I turned off background refresh straight off the bat, as it just screamed "battery hog." Last night I put the 5s on my nightstand with 83% at about 11 pm, on standby. Woke up at about 7 am to a battery at 35%! Love this new device but am completely disappointed with the battery, hope something comes up soon to fix this.

Sep 22, 2013 8:59 AM in response to msumatt

I feel your pain. I did some research the night I got the 5s and did everything to make my battery life better. I turned off location services, disabled LTE, reduced motion, turned off background refresh and the auto app updates. Everything g people suggested, I did. My phone on Friday night was at 100%. So like you, I unplugged it. I went to bed around 11:30 that night. 9 the next morning, my phone was down to 42%. ***????

Sep 22, 2013 9:05 AM in response to msumatt

Have you all installed the 7.0.1? It came out yesterday and seemed to help my battery life. Also, if you set up your iPhone 5S from a previous back up I would go into your settings up and go to General -> Reset-> reset all network settings. Try that and see of that helps. Last option would be to restore your iPhone by plugging it into iTunes and selecting restore. You computer will download the latest software and install it on your phone. I would then NOT reload a backup and start a new iPhone. You will need to download all your apps and set up your iPhone but this has been know to work.

Hope this help.

Sep 22, 2013 3:48 PM in response to brademcee

I tried this. Earlier today a little before noon I got my phone to 100% battery and unplugged it.

Here is what my phone is at now:

Battery Life Remaining: 10%

Usage: 5 Hours, 49 Minutes

Standby: 5 Hours, 54 Minutes

I took about a 2hours nap in that time and the battery life dropped significantly still just sitting on my stand.

Why is my iPhone 5S battery going so fast?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.