Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

AirPlay switches to internal speakers

Streaming music/sound from any source (including Spotify) worked fine after I upgraded to Mountain Lion half a year ago. About two weeks ago, it stopped working. When I select Airplay when Spotify is playing, there is no output for about 10 seconds, and then it switches to my internal speakers. Even when I close all apps, I can watch this happening from System Preferences - Music. When I select Airplay there without any music playing, it switches back to internal speakers after about 15 seconds. Timing-wise it may have coincided with upgrading the firm ware on my Airport Express.

Hope anyone recognises this problem, It's very frustrating, since I cannot play music over my speakers anymore.

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.4), Airport Express

Posted on Sep 22, 2013 12:06 AM

1 reply

Nov 2, 2013 3:15 AM in response to Alterabel

Apparently it is a signal error occuring when there is to much disturbance from other wireless devices. E.g in department blocks, or if you use both a wireless router and airport. A friend of mine suggested turning off the wireless function on my router and connect the airport directly to the router, and then only use wireless transmition from the airport. I have not tried this yet but i believe it could work.

Worst case is that the wireless connection gets just as unstable ^.^

AirPlay switches to internal speakers

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.