Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My iPhone 4 has frozen during iOS 7 update! Someone help?

Please help me, I don't know where else to ask! Earlier, about two hours ago, I decided to finally download and install the iOS 7 update. My phone had previously been running 5.1, and when the update finished my phone restarted like normal. But then it started updating again and froze halfway through. And now its just been sitting there for the past 20 minutes, frozen halfway through the update. Funny thing is, my iTunes says my phone is running 7.0 now. What the **** is going on and how do I fix it??!

iPhone 4, iOS 7

Posted on Sep 22, 2013 12:21 AM

14 replies

Sep 28, 2013 1:29 AM in response to Sarak3098

I have this exact same problem! Tried to follow steps as suggested to reset phone by pressing home and lock screen buttons but to no avail. Nothing happens. Phone is stuck on the black screen with the white apple with status bar half way through. iTunes regognises the phone as having iOS 7.0.2 installed and I can also see the music files on my phone. But phone wont opperate.

Can anyone help?

Jul 1, 2014 11:46 AM in response to Amari Wataki

I have the exact same problem but I have a further problem too, my home button doesn't work, so I cant use that and the power button to reset my phone, does anybody know of any other way to get it working? and because this is the first time I've connected my phone to iTunes I cant actually do anything cause its saying id have to unlock my phone screen to connect

and another thing is I already had ios 7, I believe i was updating to the ios7.0.1.4 when the problem occured

Jul 3, 2014 9:06 PM in response to Amari Wataki

I finally got through to someone at Apple. I gave them my phone's IMEI code from the original box. They checked and said that even though my phone looks frozen that the update had actually already completed... so all I had to do was conduct a 'hard shut down' as apposed to a 'soft shut down'. I didn't know what they meant so here is how they explained it to me:

There are four buttons and a switch on your phone. Two buttons are for the volume and the switch is for silent/noise. The button on top is the 'soft shut down' initiation button and on the front of the device is a round button with the square symbol printed on it; that is your 'home screen' button.

To conduct a 'hard shut down' press and hold both the 'soft shut down' and the 'home screen' buttons for as long as it takes for the screen to turn completely black. Then to turn the iPhone back on again, hold down the 'soft shut down' button until a new apple symbol appears on the black screen.

For me, there was a new progress bar under the apple logo once more but shortly after a black screen again. I pressed the 'home screen' button once more and my 'slide to unlock' screen appeared. FINAL REPORT: ALL IS BACK TO NORMAL.

Thank you and good luck :-)

Jul 4, 2014 9:04 AM in response to Amari Wataki

I had/still have the same problem Amari, and it was ever since I was (forced) to upgrade to iOS7. I didn't want to upgrade it (I avoided it for about 2 months) because I read that it said upgrade at your own risk.... which made me a little worried. So when I went to sync music on my iphone, it basically forced me into upgrading to iOS7 if I wanted new music on my phone. I didn't really realize anything was wrong until I got an alert on my phone saying that I was almost at my maximum for data and would have to pay money to use more data... which this has never happened to me in a year and a half with this phone/plan. So I realized that my wifi was not working anymore, so I cannot connect to wifi, and my battery is now really weak. Also, my phone freezes a lot and won't turn off using the top button... all since the forced upgrade....

I went into Apple yesterday and they basically said I need to buy a replacement phone or upgrade my phone. They said that my wifi chip is dead and my battery is really weak now. (None of this was the case before iOS7... which the sales reps don't really like to agree to, but it's true..) I'm pretty frustrated and disappointed in Apple for this. This is my first iPhone and I haven't even had it a year and a half. I take extremely good care of my phone and every other phone I've owned (Blackberrys, flip phones) have lasted 3 years+. I thought Apple technology was the best? I don't think that I should have to pay more money to replace my phone. I think that this is Apple's fault.

So my options are:

1) Pay $200 to buy a replacement phone (4s, which I currently own.... why do I want to buy a replacement on the same phone that didn't last over a year and a half?)

2) Pay and upgrade to an iPhone 5.... which who knows if I'll have the same problem or not.

3) Keep a phone with no wifi, and a weak battery.. which I'll probably have to pay more monthly for going over data....

4) .....? Get a Samsung?? haha

What am I to do?

Jul 4, 2014 11:25 PM in response to KrystalDC

Hi Krystal,

that sounds like a horrible experience. The customer service rep I spoke with was much more helpful and empathetic to my problem. I live in Australia and the number I rang was 1300 321 456. Maybe try a different Apple Person and report the bad service you have previously received. I switched to Apple 2 years ago and have had no issues until this upgrade. Even these issues were fixed quickly for me. Good luck.

My iPhone 4 has frozen during iOS 7 update! Someone help?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.