Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I fix a 2nd generation Apple TV that does not restore to factory settings after a failed installation of software update 6.0?

Yesterday, I got asked by my 2nd generation Apple TV if I wanted to update download and install the new software update. I clicked "Yes" and the download and installation process began. Nothing out of the ordinary happened and when the installation completed the Apple TV automatically rebooted itself, which is what has happened with previous software updates.

Alas, after reboot, the only thing that appeared on screen was an old iTunes logo (the one with the CD in the background) and what looked like a USB cable. I went online and found out that other people had been experiencing similar problems with the newly released Apple TV 6.0 update and that they had also ended up with the same image on their screen.

As it turns out, this image apparently means that you need to restore your Apple TV to factory settings by hooking it up to your computer using a micro-USB cable and then using iTunes to restore it in a way analogous to restoring an iPhone via iTunes.

I followed all of the instructions to the letter such as disconnecting my Apple TV from all cables including the power cord and then hooking it up to my computer with the micro-USB cable. I opened iTunes and absolutely nothing happened. The Apple TV does not appear as a device so I am not able to restore it.

I have attempted rebooting my computer and leaving my Apple TV disconnected for a while before hooking it up to my computer since it apparently has an internal baterry that keeps a charge for about 30 seconds after being disconnected. Nothing has worked.

Any ideas on how to fix this?

System configuration:

Apple TV 2nd generation running update 5.3

iTunes version 11.1 (126)

Mac OS X 10.8.5 on an Intel Core 2 Duo

Apple TV, Other OS, 2nd generation Apple TV

Posted on Sep 22, 2013 2:12 AM

14 replies

Sep 22, 2013 7:58 AM in response to Alley_Cat

Yes, I followed those instructions exactly including not reconnecting the power cord since I have an Apple TV 2 and the device simply does not appear in iTunes.

I had no other USB devices or hubs connected to my computer the multiple times I tried doing this.

Use another microUSB cable you say? Yes, I guess I could try that. It is not like a have many of them lying around the house though. I had to steal this one from the one I use to connect my digital camera to my computer.

Sep 25, 2013 10:42 AM in response to gridz

I'm in the same boat. I have an aTV2. I've tried restoring in various ways over microUSB. Nothing has caused the device to be noticed by iTunes. I've also tried to use TinyUmbrella to at least identify the aTV. So far, nothing's found it. The only life-sign beyond the rapidly blinking light is I can get the blinking rate to change with some remote commands, though after a few seconds, it always seems to return to the same blink rate.

Sep 27, 2013 8:34 AM in response to gridz

My ATV2 seemed totally screwed until I tried a certain microUSB cable. There's nothing overly special about this cable, though I had another one I'd tried first that simply didn't work. The non-working one is quite short and I bought it from a very very very cheap place. The one that works is approx 2.5ft long and came with an Android phone I was recently given (by my employer).

After I attached my ATV2, unpowered, with the Android cable, iTunes under OSX saw it immediately, restored the image and I was back in the game. None of my settings persisted, but that's a small matter, as there are not that many settings I'd changed. How I missed my ATV. Glad it's fine now.

Dec 8, 2013 9:10 AM in response to gridz

Why did I attempt this update???

I have the same problem. I tried 3 different microUSB cables with no luck.

Using Windows 8.1, the device manager recognizes "Apple Mobile Device (Recovery Mode)" so something is being recognized by the computer. No suck luck with ITunes.....

Anyone have any thoughts? Or do I have a new doorstop?😕

Jan 30, 2014 5:40 PM in response to gridz

What Worked For Me:

- Boot up iTunes

- FIRST connect Atv 3 to Macbook via USB mini to USB cable (2010 White Macbook in my case)

- SECOND connect power cord to Atv

Miraculously it is the way Apple TV was recognized by iTunes in my case. I tried all the tutorials and recipes offered by Apple before discovering this. Hope it works for others.

cheers,

davex

Jun 13, 2014 10:11 PM in response to gridz

Seems like a no brainer but the ATV2 is very finicky when it comes to USB cables.

Did endless combos of power up, reseting, menu+play, etc. Never got recognized in Mac or Windows iTunes.

I found an old unused Nokia cable that got my ATV2 recognized in iTunes immediately and I was able to restore.

BTW: the original cable I was using works fine with other devices just not the ATV.

How do I fix a 2nd generation Apple TV that does not restore to factory settings after a failed installation of software update 6.0?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.