Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Do I need to calibrate my macbook pro retina screen for printing

I'm preparing to send my designs (created on my macbook pro retina) off to be printed. Do I need to calibrate my display to make sure that what I send off gets printed the way I see it on my retina display? If so how would I do that?

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.5)

Posted on Sep 22, 2013 2:32 AM

9 replies

Sep 22, 2013 2:39 AM in response to kellonurth

Any screen - be it Retina or CRT - can only be calibrated for print with a colorimeter AND the ability to 'simulate' print colors and out-of-print gamma ranges (which you can do within Photoshop for images).

But there's simply no way to get the vibrancy that a screen can reproduce in the limited CMYK color spectrum. The best you can do is 'simulate' it.

I would suggest purchasing a Spyder4Elite to calibrate your screen. They're not very expensive and the software for Mac is very good.

If you want the 'best' color simulation then I would suggest looking at Eizo monitor models. They, too, will work well with your Retina MacBook Pro but they're quite expensive.

Good luck,

Clinton

Sep 22, 2013 5:12 AM in response to clintonfrombirmingham

clintonfrombirmingham wrote:

I would suggest purchasing a Spyder4Elite to calibrate your screen. They're not very expensive and the software for Mac is very good.

Clinton

Do you believe that a yellowed Samsung Retina MacBook Pro display can be corrected using the Spyder4Elite? I bought the Spyder4Elite and calibrated my yellowed display but it doesn't look nearly as good as my original display. It just looks purplish and still has that "muddy" quality. In fact, I've just gone back to using the default colour profile and setting the target white point to around 8000K so that instead of looking hideously yellow it looks hideously blue. Why doesn't a yellowed Samsung display calibrated with a Spyder4Elite look good? Am I supposed to believe that the display now presents colours accurately because the Spyder4Elite says it does even thought my eyes say something is wrong? I will be going back to the Genius Bar to complain for the 4th time anyway.

Sep 22, 2013 5:47 AM in response to Merch Visoiu

Do you believe that a yellowed Samsung Retina MacBook Pro display can be corrected using the Spyder4Elite?

No. The tint is already there - trying to correct with an already tinted screen is simply impossible. I have my Apple Thunderbolt Display calibrated with the Spyder4Elite and it's 'good enough' color - NOT what you can get with an Eizo, just 'good enough'.

Frankly, I don't know what Apple's next move is going to be with the Retina screens - the Samsungs have the yellow tint, the LG's have persistent image retention. You're only hope, I would think, is getting a non-tinted Samsung (and, from what I've read, those are few).

But good luck,

Clinton

Sep 22, 2013 5:53 AM in response to clintonfrombirmingham

clintonfrombirmingham wrote:

Frankly, I don't know what Apple's next move is going to be with the Retina screens - the Samsungs have the yellow tint, the LG's have persistent image retention. You're only hope, I would think, is getting a non-tinted Samsung (and, from what I've read, those are few).

Thanks. I really appreciate hearing from someone who knows what they're talking about. If Apple thinks they can sell me a defective product for nearly 3000 dollars and that I won't mind they're wrong. I'll be visiting them for the next 2 years until my (useless) AppleCare is up until they give me what I paid for. I'm actually on my third display: the second and third are yellow. So I know most of them are yellow and just getting a replacement isn't the solution.

Dec 17, 2013 6:45 AM in response to brsm1990

each store is different. what I did was made sure my desktop background was pure black. I opened a very white window with Google search. I let it sit there for 10 minutes while i waited for my genius bar appointment.

when the guy looked at it I said, my monitor has severe ghosting, look at my screen. Closed google and the logo is bright as day on my black desktop monitor. the guy took 1 look at it and said, ok lets setup a monitor switch for you. Then i mentioned that i wanted a samsung because the LG has burn and he told me that the new LG's do not have burn in and its only the original LG displays on the RMBP. So i got a new LG display and my screen does NOT have the same burn in and ghosting that the other display had.. so whatever apple deemed as "normal" it was not the same as my old screen. The old screen had ghosting... period. This new one.. does not. and its a LG display.

Do I need to calibrate my macbook pro retina screen for printing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.