Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Announcement

Introducing the iPad Pro with Apple M4 chip, the redesigned iPad Air in two sizes, and the all‑new Apple Pencil Pro. Watch the event >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iOS 7, iPad 4: keyboard problems with Shift key

Since I have upgraded my iPad 4 to iOS 7 a few days ago the keyboard drives me mad: I did not experience the overall slowness of the keyboard as reported by so many others. Anyway, I reset my settings just to be safe. But the reset had absolutely no influence on my real problem which is as follows:

Whenever and wherever (each app) I type, it is just a matter of luck whether or not the keyboard will recognise me typing the Shift key in order to get capital letters - and there are many caps in German words because each noun must be in caps! In 70% of all cases iOS will just write my capital letters as lower-case ones because it just does not recognise me hitting the Shift key, especially when typing quickly. Under iOS 6 this problem did not exist. I am losing so much time fixing missing capitalisation in all my texts (I use iPad for business) and/or typing extra slow and hitting the virtual Shift key on the screen extra hard that there is absolutely no flow in typing. Everything is just slow, whacky and it drives me nuts! How can it be that the latest iPad 4 with so much CPU power cannot handle a simple thing as typing caps? I am also experiencing problem when using the wipe-up gesture to get umlauts on vowels. It is not as bad as with Shift, but also noticeable.

Is there any solution to this problem? It is a major impediment and I am even considering an iOS downgrade because it is basically killing my ability to work efficiently with my iPad. Otherwise I am kinda okay with iOS 7, but this is a real show stopper. I wonder why I found nobody else on the whole web mentioning this problem.

iPad (4th gen) Wi-Fi + Cellular (MM), iOS 7

Posted on Sep 22, 2013 2:43 AM

13 replies

Sep 30, 2013 2:56 AM in response to Alexander Kriegisch

I noted that exact same problem, and it's due to a change in how the shift key behaves. You usually write in kind of a "fluent rolling", so to capitalize a letter you press shift, then the letter to capitalize, and then in a rolling movement you release them the other way around, i.e. first shift, then the letter key. Until iOS 6 the shift state was hold until you release the actual letter key, even if you release the shift key fractions earlier. For iOS 7, the letter doesn't get capitalized if you release the shift key only fractions earlier -- the shift state is valid only whiule you press the shift key.

That is actually a showstopper. It's impossible to use the keyboard for fluent writing (which was surprisingly well possible before).

Sep 30, 2013 6:34 AM in response to habitoti

I have been in phone contact with Apple tech support today, but they are unwilling to help as long as I have not upgraded to 7.0.2 which at the moment does not work, neither over the air with WiFi nor via 3G or from iTunes - in each case I get timeouts. Has anyone tested under 7.0.2 and can confirm that the bug is still NOT fixed there?

Oct 22, 2013 11:02 PM in response to MaHoff

Still not fixed with iOs 7.0.3 :-(

Actually iPad has become unusable for me for writing eMails -- always taking a PC for that now again. Probably the opposite of Steve's dream, but they screwed it up completely and are ignorant towards users problems.

(just spent the same time as for writing just for editing capitals afterwards in this comment :-( )

Nov 3, 2013 11:40 PM in response to habitoti

Thank you Habitoti for describing the necessary change to the way that we need to type on ios devices to avoid the capital letter problem.

Holding the shift key fractionally longer solves the problem. But why oh why would Apple require users to fundamentally change the way they touch type by introducing a different keyboarding protocol like this? It is most unlike Apple to have us now have to consciously think about how to touch type all over again.

Intuitive operating systems are what make Apple so great. This keyboard problem is definitely not intuitive and it is driving me crazy.

Apple, you need to change the time weighting on the shift key in iOs 7.04.

Please, pretty please!

Nov 3, 2013 11:44 PM in response to Mifitz

I opened a ticket for this quite a while before 7.0.3 already, but it's still in status "open". I am really impressed how few resonance this issue gets in the press. This is a complete showstopper for me. I don't write anything any longer on my iPad. Before iOS 7, I almost never used my MPB, but did all my mail etc. on the iPad. By now, it's vice versa again...

Nov 20, 2013 10:22 AM in response to Alexander Kriegisch

I've been noticing this issue since upgrading to ios7 myself. I thought it might have been a change in the keyboard or an issue with my ipad3. but I upgraded to an ipad air and the issue followed. one thing I didn't see here is whether you are getting a carriage-return/linefeed as well. that's what happens for me. and I discovered that if you tend to click the top of the right shift key, it will highlight the shift key but the <cr/lf> happens instead.

so you would see something like the following:

today, we learned that apple isn't infallible. there are times

i wish that weren't a true statement and

i lived in a perfect world, but there you have it.

Nov 26, 2013 10:07 AM in response to Alexander Kriegisch

I was able to reproduce some specific behaviour. Recently i needed to type an all capital abbreviation containing a whitespace. I started typing with one finger on the shift key. After three characters in capitals I typed a space still keeping my finger on the shift key as i would do on a physical keyboard. The following characters should I expect to be capitals again but they becam lower case although I was still holding one finger on the shift key.

So I think there is a problem with the shift state in combination with the spacebar. That makes touchtyping on this virtual keyboard annnoying for me ...

Jan 2, 2014 11:19 AM in response to begemann

It's a developer ticket (which can't be tracked by anyone else than the owner). Beyond that, it was closed by now as a duplicate, so at least it was somehow acknowledged ;-)

When it was closed, a reference to the duplicate ticket was given, but no one can't actually track that status now -- one of the ever lasting weirdnesses of the bug tracker system...

Regards, habitoti

iOS 7, iPad 4: keyboard problems with Shift key

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.