Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iphone5s - clicky, noisy home button

Hi all, my new iPhone 5s has a more plastic type click sound to it when you press the home button. Compared to any other iPhone I have had, this is the most "clicky".

I suppose it is to do with the new finger print sensor, BUT - wanted to ask out there if most other people notice this before I accept it is the change in design. Don't want to miss the window to check out this click with the store under their new purchase policy.

Thanks all 🙂

iPhone 5s, iOS 7

Posted on Sep 22, 2013 5:07 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 22, 2013 7:49 AM

Definitely noticeable. Tough to be icgonito using the 5S. Not sure if all devices have the issue, but it seems that at least yours and mine do. So many details missed in the new phone and the new iOS. Jobs never would have tolerated this. What happened to the beautiful, crisp, clean product mantra? Between flying folders and clicking buttons, these will be good party favors for New Year's Eve.

168 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 22, 2013 7:49 AM in response to sjcz

Definitely noticeable. Tough to be icgonito using the 5S. Not sure if all devices have the issue, but it seems that at least yours and mine do. So many details missed in the new phone and the new iOS. Jobs never would have tolerated this. What happened to the beautiful, crisp, clean product mantra? Between flying folders and clicking buttons, these will be good party favors for New Year's Eve.

Sep 23, 2013 9:08 AM in response to sjcz

Yeah, I came here to see if anyone else had this. My 5s home button is somewhat "crunchy", if that is the right term. I'm sure it has to do with the increased complexity of the fingerprint scanner gizmo.

It is slightly annoying/unnerving, but doesn't seem to hinder the functionality of the actual button. It is still registering button presses fine. I am going to go back the Apple store and see if they are all like that.

Sep 23, 2013 10:13 AM in response to eludwig

I have noticed, at least on my device, that the disturbing clicky sound comes when releasing the home button. This second "click" is with a higher frequency and cannot be heard when the button is only pressed on the edge.

Probably it is the (new) sapphire glass hitting the metal ring when coming back up. I am wondering if this is a construction flaw and we all have to live with it or ...

Sep 25, 2013 9:39 AM in response to sjcz

My 5s 64gig home button is also very loud. It appears to be getting louder by the day. It proclaims in very loud clicking noise I'M VERY CHEAP and ANNOYING. Good luck trying to use your phone discreetly in a meeting. I am having serious thoughts to return it as it's not a quality 1000 dollar phone. I wonder if Apple is planning a button replacement?

I have 30 days to decide correct?? I will keep my 4s for the moment as that phone is just plain solid!

Sep 25, 2013 11:52 AM in response to sjcz

I am finding a similar noisy click with the home button on my iPhone 5S as others have described above. When I press with a finger tip or just the nail, it is indeed very noticeable. However when I press with my thumb by covering the entire button, the noise is almost imperceptible. Hopefully others will find that the thumb trick works for them too when they want to be more discreet.

Sep 29, 2013 6:01 AM in response to sjcz

#### READ ME ####

For anyone else having this issue:

I had the same issue, I contacted apple live chat service and they said that its not a known issure and people should not return the product as theres not an issue.

ALthough if you feel you can't trust this post please go visit the apple store, and they'd probbably say the same thing.

Kind Regards

Sep 29, 2013 3:14 PM in response to rahu1rahu1

I had the exact same clicking issue with my 5S went to apple store (made genius bar appointment prior) tech looked at my iphone for 10 seconds left and came back with replacement.

Below this is the work order.

Thank you for visiting the Apple Store. Below is a copy of your service record.

Apple Store West Edmonton

28-Sep-13

(780) 701-0540

Genius Bar Work Authorization

Repair No: R104002348

Customer Information

Product Information

Warranty Status: In Warranty(LP) Model: IPHONE 5S

Date of Purchase: 20-Sep-13

Serial No: DNPLC0AEFFFV

Problem Description/Diagnosis

Issue: Home button clicks loudly.

Steps to Reproduce: Tested button.

Cosmetic Condition: New.

Employee 1124302564

Repair Estimate

Item Number Description Price Amount Due

661-7721 SVC IPHONE 5S GSM 64GB GOLD CI/AR $ 0.00 $ 0.00

S5140Z/A IPHONE 5S FLAT RATE REPAIR RETAIL-INT $ 269.00 $ 0.00

Tax $ 0.00

Total $ 269.00 $ 0.00

I agree that:

• the Repair Terms and Conditions on the reverse side of this page will apply to the service of the product identified above;

• Apple is not responsible for any loss, corruption, or breach of the data on my product during service; and

• as loss of data may occur as a result of the service, it is my responsibility to make a backup copy of my data before bringing my product to Apple for service;

• goods presented for repair may be replaced by refurbished goods of the same type rather than being repaired. Refurbished parts may be used to repair the goods

Repair Terms and Conditions can be found at http://www.apple.com/legal/terms/repair/instantexchange.html.

Sep 30, 2013 1:03 AM in response to sjcz

Hello all,

My experience with two 32gb Space Grey models is that this is something that is a problem and needs looking at/replacing at an Apple store...

The first phone I had had a very clicky and harsh sounding home button a rattling lock button and a blot on the screen (build quality seemed very poor).

Upon replacement all these problems have been resolved and the home button is now much more like I was expecting with the click being a lot softer and quieter (build quality overall as expected).

Hope this helps,

Regards

Sep 30, 2013 4:34 AM in response to sjcz

I'm also one of the "clicky"-Phone owners and just phoned apple support about it. According to them, this is not a technical issue.

I'm confused about what to do now. Except for the homebutton my phone seems to work absolutely flawless.

Opinions wanted: What's the worst thing that could happen? Pressing the button down appears to be no problem at all...releasing it causes the click. I can't imagine any defect that could be caused by this...which might just be my lack of technical knowledge.

Apart from that I would really be interrested in what is actually causing the click. This might not be a defect at all. Maybe the spring mechanism, or whatever it is called, is simply to strong and bangs the button against the chassis.

If that's the case, the phones that DON'T have the click might be the ones with the problem 😉

Sep 30, 2013 4:44 AM in response to Maten

In my opinion, Apple is about the user experience. Heck, we could drive cars that are technically safe and sound but make a ton of noise when stepping on the accelerator, but that isn't what the manufacturer is selling us and not what we expect because expectations were set differently.

If the home button makes clicking sounds because of a mechanism behind the button that exists so that I don't have to tap on a piece of glass to get access to my phone, I consider the user experience a fail. I spend much more time clicking and double-clicking to access apps, to close apps etc than I do opening the phone in the first place. The tradeoff is terrible. It's a major design flaw in the user experience which I always thought completely violated Steve Jobs' mantra; there is no harmony with click click click click.

I am hoping that my visit to the Genius Bar today yields someone who appreciates this and who can provide me with a device that maintains the expected user experience around Apple's heretofore brand equity.

iphone5s - clicky, noisy home button

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.