Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 5 ─ Front microphone not working!

Hello everyone!

Alright, I will start with a video I found on the internet which explains EXACTLY the same problem I'm experiencing:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JlHtw9AhtWE

The problem started all of a sudden. You can only hear that kind of hissing in the background, no voice. I remember using Siri a few days ago, now even Siri doesn't hear my anymore. Same with facetime and front video recorder, no sound.

Rear camera recordings and voice recording works fine though. It's only the front microphone.

Thanks in advance,

Regards

iPhone 5, iOS 7

Posted on Sep 22, 2013 5:19 AM

14 replies

Sep 22, 2013 9:53 AM in response to alexgontijo

The problem is, I bought my device from an Apple re-saler (not from Apple itself) and apparently they don't replace devices. I will go and ask tomorrow anyway, but this is really annoying me. I mean I never dropped my iPhone or anything - I'm always protecting it, it's started all of a sudden.

Also worth mentioning is that when I facetime, it appears to work sometimes and sometimes not. It's very weird. If I for example tap on the front mic a couple of times, %15 of the times it will work, and stop working after a moment.

Are there others who have the same problem? If yes, what did you do to eventually fix this annoying issue?

Sep 22, 2013 10:08 AM in response to Ismail_

Yeah, exactly like mine, never dropped, not a scratch, simple started to fail after 15 days of careful use.

One way I discovered to surround the problem was to turn on the Speakerphone mode just after answering or dialing someone, that way the other person could hear me fine. Try this until you can get it fixed.

The warranty is very good, if the store you bought can't change it for you, send it through the nearest official Apple Service Center.

Best,

Alexandre

Sep 22, 2013 9:45 PM in response to Ismail_

My main microphone is working just fine however the problem I'm experiencing is shooting video. The microphone does not record audio or extremely low with a hissing sound. I did however discover that covering up the back side noise canceling microphone between the camera lens and the flash reenable the main microphone to start working again while shooting video. I did this by putting a small piece of electrical tape over the hole where the microphone is witchery enables the main microphone so now I can record video with sound as normal. Well almost normal I have this piece of tape between Mike camera and flash so it looks kind of ugly but luckily I have a case that goes over it. So try that if nothing else works, cover the microphone on the back of the phone while recording video or while in a call it worked for me although the only problem I have is recording sound with video I don't have any of the other problems.

Dec 8, 2013 1:03 PM in response to Ismail_

Guys, I spent quite a bit of time trying to figure out what causes the muffled sound during call on Iphone 5S. I have been recording my own voice using TapeACall app and also calling my own number which goes into Voicemail so I can make a recording. The one position that clearly degrades the audio significantly is if I lie down and turn even slightly to the right. In this position, the further I hold the handset away from the mouth the worse the voice gets which is not the case if I am sitting upright or standing. So I have made many recordings while lying down and turning to the right as evidence to be able to go to Telstra, my phone company today and have a final attempt at a third handset. If they allow me to cancel my 24 months contract that is ideal for me but otherwise I am selling the unit and moving on to a non Apple product asap. After having used 7 smartphones in the last few years it would be stupidity and unsatisfying to be holding a $1000 phone that can't even produce acceptable call quality which by the way my $50 Nokia 301 is excellent at. Lets see.

iPhone 5 ─ Front microphone not working!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.