Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

New video camera

We just purchased a new video camera . A canon Vixia hf r 400 Love the camera and it works with imovie 08 on my imac .

Just wondering if there is another software that is easier to use than imovie 8 for the mac and less involved . I find it time consuming to transfer to imovie from the camera create a project and then need to export the project to media browser and then need idvd to burn to dvd

If this is what is needed ok but thought there may be an easier way . We just want to do vacation video and family video nothing that would be professional

Thanks for any suggestions

Mac OS X (10.6.8), home

Posted on Sep 22, 2013 6:54 AM

11 replies

Sep 22, 2013 10:23 PM in response to dockyard

dockyard wrote:

… I find it time consuming to transfer to imovie from the camera create a project and then need to export the project to media browser and then need idvd to burn to dvd …

… the idea behind 'all these steps' is, to

• allow editing - really no one watches movies 'as on tape', wtih all the shakes, mistakes, zooming, 'search pans' ... editing is first of all drop-out useless material; and your family will be happy to watch 'the best 5 minutes' instead of 'the full 50 yards' 😀

• use 'modern' distribution, such as YouTube or Vimeo, to share your videos with others (the grandpa of my son is 800km away, and eagerly awaits the weekly sport-reports of his grand-son)

• finally, your cam is offering fullHD - a dvd offers less than a quarter of resolution. Apple stopped developing disk-authoring about 7 years ago .... DVD is obsolete. 'Share' in house via AppleTV, by usb-stick, via Internet, on your phone, iPad, …

soooo, from my personal perspective, you really miss the most fun, with NOT doing these steps.

and btw: invest another 15$ in latest iMovie … the version 08 was, imho, just a 'test' ......

Sep 23, 2013 3:48 AM in response to Karsten Schlüter

I know what you are saying about the editing and i agree . Most of the family are not youtube savy so dvd is the best way to show and preserve those moments for the future . Like baby chasing the dog or first steps . These things youtube does not want to see either .i dont have appe tv and my tv does not have usb port .

lastly I cannot upgrade to imovie 11 as i was told by apple support . My Mac is 5 years old and cannot be upgraded .with out spending more money on an older machine I went from leopard to snow leopard and thats the best it can handle based on its hard drive specs . I will wait till it dies and buy the newer imac

so the bottom line I just wanted an editing program that may be a little easier to use . If it does not exist it will have to be imovie 8

Sep 23, 2013 8:48 AM in response to dockyard

dockyard wrote:

… I cannot upgrade to imovie 11 as i was told by apple support . My Mac is 5 years old …

… and the 'latest' iMovie is 4 years old!

I mostly doubt this advice of this sales-person!

tell us more about your Macs specs ...

And concerning 'easy': imho, iMovie is by far the most 'easiest' edit app ever, and I tried a few.

Only 'better convenience' would mean a tool, you drag your raw recordings into it and it instantly burns it to disk (=without any editing, titleing etc) ... Roxio Toast is such a tool .....

Sep 24, 2013 4:15 AM in response to dockyard

dockyard wrote:

… said i could not install it because I do not have OS 10.7 …

so, we come from A to B to C to X ... 😁

It was just meant as a suggestion… iMovie08 was, imho, no fully flavored editor.

If you don't like to invest into MacOS + apps (and maybe Ram), all my simpathies!

As long as your actual set-up 'works', no need to change horses.-

… ask Santa to buy you an all new Mac 😝😉

Sep 24, 2013 5:11 AM in response to dockyard

dockyard wrote:

… then Santa can bring me a new Mac with all the bells and whistles

A friend of mine has an iMac i7 'with all bells and whistles'… using it mainly for web-surfing any typing music sheets!!! It runs circles around mine, when doing video-editing. And I sit here with my antique hardware … grrrrrrrrr ... 😁

Happy movie making!

Sep 24, 2013 6:17 AM in response to dockyard

dockyard wrote:

… We are looking forward to seeing a little of germany when we take a cruise out of Cophenagen next August …

a few tipps for Northern Germany (most tourist prefer Bavaria… ) :

Visit my ol' home-town Hamburg, plan a few days to see the main attractions. (and no, nothing special about Reeperbahn… I found Canal Street/New Orleans more exiting 😁)

Lübeck at the Baltic Sea is great either, very 'picturesque', in some corners still like Middle Ages (ok, not as much as Heidelberg…)

Büsum at the North Sea is another nice and tiny fisher village; buy some prawns straight from the cutters; and don't wonder where the Sea is - at the Northern coast we have Tide! Locals will try to sell you some cheap ground.... 😝

New video camera

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.