Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Color Management In Various Web Browsers For Untagged Images Broken Since 10.8 Upgrade

I have recently updated my early 2008 Mac Pro to 10.8 and have noticed that neither Safari, Firefox or Chrome handle untagged images correctly anymore. Instead of assuming sRGB as the ICC profile for an untagged image (like they did prior to upgrading), they now just convert to monitor profile which looks over-saturated on my wide gamut monitor (Dell 3007WFPHC, hardware calibrated with a Datacolor Spyder 3 Pro). Color management in Photoshop, Lightroom and all other previosuly color-aware applications appears unaltered. The interesting thing is that in Safari, if I open a link with "open in new tab", the untagged images are rendered as if their color profiles are sRGB and are displayed correctly! But just clicking the link in the same tab or "open in new window" results in the incorrect over-saturated colors. This doesn't make any sense. Anyone else have this same issue?

Mac Pro (Early 2008)

Posted on Sep 22, 2013 7:39 AM

2 replies

Sep 22, 2013 8:20 AM in response to doleboy

After digging around, I found that the behavior of Firefox can be changed to assume sRGB on untagged images by putting about:config into the address bar and changing the value of gfx.color_management.mode to 1. I vaguely recall doing something similar for Chrome years ago, but can't for the life of me rememebr what I did. When upgrading to 10.8, I did a fresh install so any mods to Chrome are no longer present.

As for Safari, I have never really used it and only notcied it behaved similarly when trying it because Chrome wasn't working. Still can't figure out why Safari works correctly when you select "open in new tab" though. Maybe this should be moved to the Safari forum?

Color Management In Various Web Browsers For Untagged Images Broken Since 10.8 Upgrade

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.