Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Backup over the Internet to my new time capsule

I travel a lot, and want to back up my new (late 2013) mac air to my new time capsule.

Can I do this over the internet with time machine?

Sorry, but I can't find this in the user manual. I have DSL at home.

Thanks!!

2013 Time Capsule-OTHER, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.4), New mac air, new time capsule

Posted on Sep 22, 2013 7:48 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 22, 2013 1:50 PM

Apple says specifically don't do it.

See BTMM and iCloud instructions.

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht3486

And I quote.

Can Time Machine remotely back up or restore data from AirPort Time Capsule or its attached hard drive via Back to My Mac?

Backing up or restoring Time Machine backups remotely (that is, via Back to My Mac and the Internet instead of your local network) is not recommended. If you want to back up or restore with Time Machine and AirPort Time Capsule, you should do so while directly connected to your AirPort Time Capsule's local network.

I think Apple have good reason to recommend you don't do it.. eg.. you can easily corrupt the entire backup. So instead of having an up to date backup you will have none.

Use a 2.5" portable drive when travelling. When you get home.. backup to the TC as usual.

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 22, 2013 1:50 PM in response to FlyBill

Apple says specifically don't do it.

See BTMM and iCloud instructions.

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht3486

And I quote.

Can Time Machine remotely back up or restore data from AirPort Time Capsule or its attached hard drive via Back to My Mac?

Backing up or restoring Time Machine backups remotely (that is, via Back to My Mac and the Internet instead of your local network) is not recommended. If you want to back up or restore with Time Machine and AirPort Time Capsule, you should do so while directly connected to your AirPort Time Capsule's local network.

I think Apple have good reason to recommend you don't do it.. eg.. you can easily corrupt the entire backup. So instead of having an up to date backup you will have none.

Use a 2.5" portable drive when travelling. When you get home.. backup to the TC as usual.

Jul 10, 2014 5:10 AM in response to FlyBill

My company is going to setup a lab environment to test this feature (Time Machine on the Cloud), using OSX Server, Time Machine, Profile Manager (to manage company mobile mac book pro) and Apple Script (for mobile devices outside company's ownership as well).

If interested in investigating this lab environment and help us setting it up, contact me.

To establish a first contact, please use my email address.

Bye

EDIT: email address to use = info AT adaconsulting.net, please include the following Subject: "Apple Network Time Machine Project"

Oct 6, 2016 3:20 AM in response to FlyBill

We've got a lot of Macs to back up at our office, and wrote up a secure way of backing them up over the internet (to a cloud server rather than a Time Capsule). We use netatalk and a plain-ish VPN configuration, so I believe it works on Lion or above. You do need a fast (say 10Mbps) connection to take that first backup, but I was fairly impressed that it worked at all, and it's working fine with only 1Mbps at home 🙂

https://www.bytemark.co.uk/docs/example-setups/time-machine-linux/

Oct 6, 2016 1:31 PM in response to Matthew Bloch

If the connection breaks half way through a backup.. you do realise it can corrupt the backup.

What is possible is not necessarily a great idea. It is also an issue that verifying a backup will take ages if several backups are missed. Verify and the way TM checks where it is at with backups over slow connection can take forever.

I would simply recommend using an rsync based backup software like Carbon Copy Cloner or Chonosync. These will work a lot better over VPN to cloud based target.

Backup over the Internet to my new time capsule

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.