Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Boot Camp Assistant: "Your disk could not be restored to a single partition."

I want to delete my Windows partition and regrow my Mac partition to use the whole disk. But when I click Restore in the Boot Camp Assistant, it says:

Your disk could not be restored to a single partition.

An error occurred while restoring the disk to a single partition.

I'm using Mac OS X 10.8.5, on a mid-2009 MacBook Pro.

MacBook Pro (13-inch Mid 2009), OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Sep 22, 2013 8:19 AM

17 replies

Sep 23, 2013 2:08 PM in response to Jamie Telford

No, Repair actually made the problem worse.

Repair did log some improvements to the Mac partition, but resulted in the Windows partition disappearing entirely. As I plan to sell the computer, I ended up deleting all partitions, formatting a single HFS+ partition over the whole hard drive, and reinstalling Mac OS X. Had I wanted to keep the computer, this would still present a problem.

Jan 19, 2014 7:04 AM in response to mcandre

I had this problem today and discovered an easy way to fix it.

1. First, open "Disk Utility" under the Applications/Utilities folder.

1. Select the Windows partition on the left and go to the "Erase" tab. Pick "Mac OS Extended (Journaled)" and click the Erase button. This will reformat the Windows partition into a normal Mac partition.

2. Select the disk on the left and and go to the "Partition" tab. Pick the newly erased partition in the partition layout and click the "-" (minus) button to remove it.

Dec 27, 2015 3:56 AM in response to DRSaxton

I also encountered same problem.

I had to remove windows 10 due to space issue. When I tried to remove windows partition got same error "Your disk could not be restored to a single partition.". However, boot camp (version 6) had done its job. Next screen was to start partition and select windows ISO.

The issues I still saw:

1) Windows partition space allocated still displayed: In Disk utility, i did not see windows partition, but under parent drive, I saw windows space. I removed it and my hard disk was restored into single partition (Windows 10 was already removed via Boot camp 6)

2) When I press Option key while reboot, I still see Windows Option along with Mac

Can anyone help me how to remove winodws option from reboot? Not sure if its Boot camp 6 bug? I really dont want to format and reinstall Mac

Regards

P

MacBook Pro 13" Retina

El Capitan with Boot camp assistant version 6

Mar 6, 2016 2:06 PM in response to pradsham22

Your problem sounded just like mine, I also did not see the "Windows Partition" in Disk Utility. And I also wanted to remove the Windows option on reboot (I had two windows options from accidentally downloading bootcamp numerous times). The initial suggestions did not work.

This ended up working for me: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WmdsLfLAO20

OS X El Capitan 10.11.12

iMac Retina 5K

Jun 3, 2016 2:22 PM in response to Loner T

I removed the windows 7 using bootcamp, it stopped midway saying....disk cant be partioned into one. Bt nw in bootcamp asistant, thr is no.option for removinf windows 7, wen i start my laptop thr is no option fr selectng windows 7, in disk utility also, there is only one partition i.e. My 250gb hard disk. But wen i am checking 'storage' under 'about this mac'... I havnt got that 55gb back yet. What do i do?

I am using macbook.pro mid 2010, yosemite

Boot Camp Assistant: "Your disk could not be restored to a single partition."

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.