Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iOS 7 'Define' option pulls up 'no definition found' when highlighting word for definition

Has anyone experienced this problem after updating to iOS 7? It appears the dictionary is missing when highlighting a word anywhere in the OS and selecting the 'Define' option to look up a word. It just displays a blank page with the words 'no definition found'. I've experienced this with my iPhone 4 also. The apps I've tried this in are iBooks, Notes, Mail, & Safari.

Posted on Sep 22, 2013 8:52 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 22, 2013 4:34 PM

Open Safari and try to define a word. When " no definition found " comes up you should see "manage" in the bottom left of screen, there you should be able to download a dictionary and then will work thereafter

15 replies

Oct 22, 2013 8:09 AM in response to dnw7693

I can get the English dictioery to apper and saves, but I need the Japanese one also.

If I download them (1 or 2) the do not appear until i back out and then go back in again.

If I switch or close the app its not there again and have to repate the process.

I want to save this option so I dont have to do this every time.

I have the Ipad 2 and Iphoe 4, its the same on both.

Any Ideas?

Mar 28, 2014 12:10 AM in response to dnw7693

Even I am having the same problem. I am using iPhone 5 with iOS 7.1. After following the manage dictionary option it shows that the dictionary I downloading but after completion of process when I repeat the steps to "define" it again shows that there is no dictionary. I have tried the same process several times using wifi and cellular network. But no response.

iOS 7 'Define' option pulls up 'no definition found' when highlighting word for definition

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.