Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMessage: "Waiting for activation"

Installed iOS 7 on iPhone 4. Under iMessage switch in "Messages" under "Settings" it says "Waiting for activation." Could someone explain what is going on?

Posted on Sep 22, 2013 9:43 AM

13 replies

Jul 9, 2017 5:11 AM in response to SteveDC

I went to an SE from a 6 and I got the Facetime and iMessage "Waiting for Activation". For three days I tried resets, hard resets, turn on and off and everything, and I mean everything, to resolve it. Nothing worked. My service provider was clueless. I was on the verge of returning my SE. On a whim I decided to put the old sim card from the 6 into the SE. Of course it had already been deactivated. I took it out, put back in the SE sim card and within a minute or two my phone was working. I'm on my second day and so far everything is working as it should. I don't know why but it worked for me.

Jan 6, 2015 4:37 AM in response to SteveDC

For the ones who tried everything (inc. reset and/or restore) but still couldn't activate iMessage and FaceTime with their cellular number, I strongly suggest you to major on your mobile phone network operator. Even if you have an active international sms plan that charges the activation sms's, there might be a problem(I have no idea why but some kind of line forwarding/redirecting problem) about your line. Especially the ones who travels internationally much. For your information...

Feb 9, 2015 6:18 PM in response to SteveDC

Dear Apple - Please improve the error message so we - your customers - can find the resolution easier. I've seen various posts: Make sure you are selected as the contact in MAIL. Turn off message / face time (duh, can't get to it to turn it off due to the error). Check time zone, time, language, your address, your horoscope (wait - didn't try that yet). Stating: iMessage activation - problem: Time zone conflict or something to that effect. I've tried all of the solutions, and I am now on device reset and restore. I have spent 2 hours last night, 30 mins this morning, and 3 hours tonight to get to this point. A better error message would have really helped. Can you add that to ios 8.1.4?

iMessage: "Waiting for activation"

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.