Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Aperture Incredibly slow...

I have a MacPro with 17G RAM - I am using Aperture 3.4.5 and working with a library of about 8500 images, only. The computer became totally unresponsive but that may have been playing iTunes at the same time, other opps open and uncleaned memory. So, I shut down everything I could and ran Memory Cleaner so that now there are 9G free. But Aperture is still running incredibly slow.

I know I can quit and restart the computer - but is there some other reason for this happening??? I need to work on this Library = it's not that big, there is plenty of RAM etc.

Mac Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.5), 17G RAM

Posted on Sep 22, 2013 10:13 AM

5 replies

Sep 22, 2013 11:21 AM in response to Victoria Herring

I now have only Aperture running plus Activity Monitor and am watching things as I work on things = it is still very slow - it started at 260mb of Real Memory and low CPU but as I have worked with it the Real Memory has risen to 1G and at times the CPU moves to 100% -- I am not doing anything other than looking in list view and rating images I want to reject - that is all.

Sep 22, 2013 11:30 AM in response to Victoria Herring

So, I shut down everything I could and ran Memory Cleaner so that now there are 9G free.

That is still not much free disk space, Victoria. Try to free at least as much disk space as the size of your RAM for the operating system as working space.

If the Memory cleaner has emptied caches to free space, your mac may even be slower than before, because the contents of the caches is needed to save computation time and speed things upe.

I know I can quit and restart the computer - but is there some other reason for this happening??? I need to work on this Library = it's not that big, there is plenty of RAM etc.

From your recent threads you know the drill - Aperture 3: Troubleshooting Basics

Make sure the permissions on your Aperture Library are correct, repair the library, to exclude library corruption, check, if Aperture is also slow with a different library.

Regards

Léonie

Sep 22, 2013 11:47 AM in response to Victoria Herring

On thought I did have -- this ApLibrary [8400 images, is 88G in size [it has lots of dupes and that's what I have noticed as I have gone thru to delete, Aperture is moving very slowly.] -- would it run better if Aperture app was on the StartUp drive but the Library being worked with would be on another drive? One of the other internals?

[right now Aperture is using 1.28G of Real Memory and 107% CPU and I'm not even working on it...it's just sitting in the background]

Sep 22, 2013 12:25 PM in response to Victoria Herring

Aperture does a fair bit of house-keeping in the back-ground. That might be what's going on, particularly if you haven't used this Library in a while, or have recently upgraded it, or have made some small but widespread changes to metadata (moved all Projects into a new Folder, for instance).

Can you let it run unmolested for a few hours, maybe overnight? Note that that is my own voodoo -- I don't _know_ that it does anything, but IME it has helped -- especially for Libraries that are on external drives that aren't always mounted. (I'm not sure what your set-up is. Until you get to _really_ big Libraries, having both your program files and your data files on your start-up drive is almost certainly the fastest set-up.)

--Kirby.

Aperture Incredibly slow...

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.