Newsroom Update

Apple and Google deliver support for unwanted tracking alerts in iOS and Android. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iOS7 Music App Playlist Editing

While iOS7 is magnificent in so many different ways, the change that frustrates me the most is the removal of certain aspects in playlist editing.

iOS7 has removed the ability for people to add songs from different playlists. Say you had a playlist called "Recently Added." You want to listen to these recently added songs, and choose the songs you liked. Before iOS7, you could Add a New Playlist, then add songs from the Recently Added playlist.

However, now, if you Add a New Playlist, you can only choose from four categories: Songs, Artists, Albums, and Composers. You can change the buttons on the bottom of the Music App all you want, but when making a new playlist or editing an old playlist, you will only see those four buttons.

Additionally, iOS7 has removed the ability to "Add All Songs" to a playlist. Say that I had a playlist of 30 songs I really liked. But I find that 30 is too minimal for some situations. I want to use that same playlist, but I want another playlist that not only includes those 30 songs, but has 30 more songs as well. I would have to find each and every song individually, rather than doing the simple "Add all songs" from the first playlist.

These removals doesn't seem to improve iOS7 in any way whatsoever, and I assume that their removal is a temporary setback. As someone who constantly edits his playlists, I am so greatly inconvenienced that I have to use another iOS device that's running iOS6 to make these playlists.

Think of it this way. I have a tier-system playlist preference. I make one playlist containing all the songs I like. From that one playlist, I make another smaller playlist containing all the songs I really like. And from that, another smaller one containing all the songs I love. If I can't add songs from other playlists, I'd have to search for them one by one, rather than having the convenience of adding them directly from another playlist.

I greatly urge Apple to re-implement these functions. They are two simple functions that have almost always been a part of the iOS music applications. There is no reason to remove them, and by removing them Apple inconveniences a good chunk of users. I know not everyone uses the playlist function as I do. But what is the point of removing such a seemingly small but vastly convenient function?

iPhone 5s, iOS 7

Posted on Sep 22, 2013 10:59 AM

4 replies

Dec 4, 2013 1:59 AM in response to jeffh127

Agreed! After using Spotify for a long time I go and buy some songs from the iTunes store on my iPhone, in an effort to create a playlist to listen to. Then I find out you can't add songs from the "bought" playlist to a new one any more. I have to manually search through my whole library to find these new songs? Seriously. No wonder people are dropping itunes and going the spotify route en masse with this kind of basic functionality missing. If you could only add a song to a playlist when you are listening to the song it would be a bit better, but oh no. Come on Apple you can do better than this!

Also for some weird reason the Music App adds the new songs to the bottom of the "Bought" playlist, when before it added them to the top. So now I have the oldest ever bought songs right next to the newly purchased ones. Not a huge issue but ticks me off and is a symptom of lack of caring and lack of polish

iOS7 Music App Playlist Editing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.