Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

STILL cannot scan for wireless networks

I'm having the same problem that everybody else who posted with this thread has. I've tried everything I can think of, but the most popular response to these threads seems to be return it under warranty. I'm out of warranty and cannot afford a new phone, anymore than I can afford the data overages that result from not having wifi. My last iPhone did exactly the same thing, except, back then, I could afford to buy a new one; now, after reading so many posts, I'm coming to the conclusion that apple hasn't figured out how to make a durable antenna yet. This seems to be a common problem with iPhones, which totally defeats the whole purpose of my buying one in the first place...reliability. This is my last attempt before I swear off this company as unreliable (the kiss of death for me) and see what the dark side has to offer (I dare not speak their name on an apple forum, but you all know who I'm talking about:). So PLEASE, somebody help. I really have loved my phone, but I have to be realistic about where I drop another $300+.

PS: I've upgraded iOS's twice, and this all started before the update, so I really don't think it's what some other people think is an iOS issue.

iPhone 4S, iOS 7

Posted on Sep 22, 2013 12:27 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 22, 2013 12:28 PM

Cannot scan? As in you cannot select the WiFi option? It would be helpful if you showed me a picture of what you meant; or described the problem better for me.

10 replies

Sep 22, 2013 12:45 PM in response to Halfrightface

iOS: Troubleshooting Wi-Fi networks and connections

iOS and OS X: Recommended settings for Wi-Fi routers and access points

If there is no solution after doing everything in these articles, there is a hardware problem that only replacement or repair will help.

apple hasn't figured out how to make a durable antenna yet.

Has nothing to do with the antenna. Don't speculate about technical issues which you don't understand

This seems to be a common problem with iPhones,

Define "common" in the context of >100 million iPhones sold. And, you can document the incidence of WiFi problems with other brands as being less, right?

I've upgraded iOS's twice, and this all started before the update

Did you restore the iOS in iTunes as new, without using a backup? If not, you haven't tried everything.

Sep 22, 2013 1:04 PM in response to itsfutur

I'm sorry, I've been researching this so long, I forgot to be clearer:/

It's the same cannot scan for wireless networks people have posted about before. The little spinning circle icon next to "choose a network" just keeps spinning and there are no networks listed. If I try to choose a network manually, it gives the cannot scan message.

Thank you for asking for clarification, instead of just being a smart *** like modular747. Your inquiry into my issue lets me know your not just a mindless fanboy:)

I don't expect anything will work, but really appreciate you trying.

Sep 22, 2013 1:14 PM in response to itsfutur

I haven't bothered because I've had it a couple of years. I figured they'd laugh me out of the store or push a new 5 on me:/ There isn't one nearby, but I'll try if you really think they might actually still support this old phone. Do you know of anyone that's had hardware issues fixed out of warranty? Or maybe I can just pay to have it fixed? If so, any suggestions on where? I just don't know if its even a fixable issue. After all the forums I read, I just assumed a replacement was the only hardware related solution.

Sep 22, 2013 6:46 PM in response to modular747

Dude, I am SO sorry. I neglected to take into account that some people are emotionally attached to their inanimate objects and lose the ability to think rationally, as if someone had insulted their child. While I love what my phone can do for me, it never occurred to me to love the phone itself, given that it's an object, incapable of reciprocating that love. Also, since I don't own apple stock (or even know if it's publicly traded) I have no vested interest in their future. They are a cash cow though, I ought to diversify my portfolio...my bad:/

Apologies out of the way, I have answers to your comments, and a solution to my query, that having spent so much time researching, I know can be hard to find. I'll address your comments in the order they were received; I'm assuming you'd want to know, cuz really, what kind of a loser would waste their time with those kinds of comments if they weren't sincere, and how sad would someone have to be to say such things in response to someone's plea for help? Surely, not you :)

-It has everything to do with the "antenna". In quotes, b/c 4th gen technically doesn't have a traditional antenna (I know how important technical issues are to you now).

-Antenna issues on the 4th gen have a very well documented history of failing. You may recall that the original would lose wifi if you touched the borders. Apple confirmed this problem, advised people to use a case, and set to rectify it with the release if the 4s. Common, in this context, refers to every single iPhone 4 sent out on release date... So if they sold >100million, then that's how many times it happened.

-While I still prefer the iOS to android, I'm a free thinking individual, not slave to any phone manufacturer, and I have a life I'm already ignoring way too much doing this, to waste my time documenting research; especially since I never said it wasn't a problem elsewhere, just that it clearly is a problem here.

-Yes I tried everything. Being of at least average intelligence, I found your advice on my very first google search. So I appreciate the advice, but I only came on here as a last ditch effort (as originally stated) after having exhausted other avenues. I'm unsure as to why you doubt whether someone would try the troubleshooting steps, given that they're the only ones apple offers, but I'm guessing it has to do with your sunny disposition, so I won't ask.

-I don't know what you mean by "flame", but given the context, I see you've mistaken me for someone that cares to "bash" a piece of equipment that is, by any standard, a miracle of modern innovation. Of course this is true of all smartphones, but it seems you only have eyes for one company so I'll stick to that.

...again, I apologize for not being more conscious of your sensitivity.

Sep 22, 2013 6:52 PM in response to Halfrightface

I'm replying to my own post in the hopes I can help people that weren't under warranty anymore; since that's where every other thread seems to end:(

As noted, the antenna problem are well documented. Thank you modular747! I only thought to play with it after you insisted it wasn't the problem. I thought man, if he's that wrong about everything else, he must be wrong about this too! And behold...I'm sending this via wifi=]

Anyone else having this problem:

Know that your 4thgen antenna is continuous with the silver outer band that borders our phones. Given the feat of packing so much into a tiny device, they were unable to secure it properly. Turns out that even those tiny screws are part of the relay system that makes your antenna work. Since the antenna also serves as structural support, it can get loose over time. Just squeezing the edges toward the center of the screen will reconnect the antenna and voila, you'll have wifi!

It's a temporary fix (squeezing), it will intermittently come loose, but you can actually open your phone and fix this problem permanently yourself for free!!! Just YouTube it for detailed instructions on how. I'll leaved me as it is, cuz despite what modular thinks, I do respect the complexity of these things enough to not needlessly mess with it. If anyone else is as apprehensive about dismantling their costly little toy, I bet you can find a repair shop to do it for you. If so, please post on this thread how much it cost you so we can decide if its worth it to us.

Thanks to all that have tried to help in previous threads! I appreciate the (usually) friendly community

Aug 4, 2014 9:52 AM in response to itsfutur

I'm having the same problem. See when I reboot or turn my phone off and then turn it on my wifi greys out. i turn it on by using a blow dryer but then when I go to wifi in settings , the scanning to find a wifi network which is that spinning wheel , its spinning but its not scanning any wifi networks. then i go on others and write my home networks name and tape join it says cannot scan wifi networks. This is my whole problem. Can anyone help me please.

STILL cannot scan for wireless networks

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.