Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is there a way to go to the Systems Preferences from Terminal?

Hi everyone,

I have a problem with my Mac.

(i Mac 9, 1 intel core 2 duo operating system Mac Os X 10.5.8).

The monitor is blocked, the screen is blue with mechanism symbol and keeps like that.

Is there a way to go to the systems preferences from terminal?

I would like to rehab the permissions of the host account.

I disabled it because I have noticed that the host could easily have access to the documents and photos.

By doing that I think I disabled the general permission also from the administrator.

If the issue us due to this I would like to rehab the host account's permissions.

1- I have already tried the PRAM reset (cmd+alt+P+R)....... but nothing

2- I have also tried cmd+alt+P......nothing

3- and afterwards with Safe Boot after the Doing Shift.....nothing

4- Cmd+V....nothing

5- Cmd+R....nothing

6- and also Single User to get to Applejack but all without success as the screen is still blue.

I was able to get to Utility Disk but not set up the permissions I get an error.

I have got there by clicking ALT after the Doing and by clicking on the installation DVD as clicking on HD didn't work.

Any suggestions to solve this issue?

Thanks in advance.

iMac

Posted on Sep 22, 2013 12:31 PM

13 replies

Sep 23, 2013 11:32 AM in response to theEric

You gave possibly conflicting info

The monitor is blocked, the screen is blue with mechanism symbol and keeps like that.

3- and afterwards with Safe Boot after the Doing Shift.....nothing

both of the above points conflict with.

I was able to get to Utility Disk but not set up the permissions I get an error.

What happens when you boot the machine?

How far do you get before your mac hangs up?

What happened with safe boot? Details place. Things dont just "fail". what did happen.

Perhaps if you have a camera you should take pictures of the screen & post here. click on the camera icon.

verify & repair your startup drive

To verify & repair you file system on the startup drive, you will need to run disk utility from you installation DVD.

This article will tell you how to get to disk utility. Once in a disk utility, you can go and attempt to recover the disk.

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS1417

To repair your startup drive, you will need to run disk utility from your startup DVD.
Mac OS X 10.4: About the utilities available on the Mac OS X 10.4 Install DVD

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2055

How to run disk utility from your startup DVD.

1. Insert your startup DVD into your reader. Power down your machine. Hold down to the c key. Power on your machine. This will bootup your startup DVD.
  2. This will bring you to a panel asking you for your language. Pick your language.
  3. User uploaded file

4. You you come to the Install Mac OS panel. Do not install.
  5. Click on Utilities menu item. This will give you a pulldown list of utilities.
  6. Click on the disk utility.
    User uploaded file
  7. You are now in disk utility. Pick your disk. Click on repair it should be on the lower right of the panel. User uploaded file
  8. Once the repair completes successfully, you should update your permissions.

Sep 23, 2013 12:08 PM in response to rccharles

Hi rccharles

I thought that my mail left no doubt!!

The monitor is blocked, the screen is blue with mechanism symbol and keeps like that. (ALWAYS)

Safe Boot : (I can not log in Safe Boot)

What happened with safe boot?Details place.

(the screen is blue with mechanism symbol and keeps like that)

What happens when you boot the machine?

(the screen is blue with mechanism symbol and keeps like that)

your photografic sequence is perfect!!

i did exactly this,just a single difference: permits are not repaired.

''Error on exit'' is the answer

I tried your first suggestion,

diskutil repairPermissions /

no good news:

Error -9972: The underlying task reported failure on exit

....now I will try an answer about this error

thank you

Is there a way to go to the Systems Preferences from Terminal?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.