Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't send email to trash in mail iOS7

Works for gmail, but for my college email the application does not allow sending email to trash. This is using IMAP. Worked well until iOS7. Also still able to send to trash on multiple other platforms.

iPhone 5, iOS 7, same on iPad 3

Posted on Sep 22, 2013 1:10 PM

14 replies

Nov 3, 2013 3:30 PM in response to Scott98981

Unlike Marc who is not being too helpful, I figured this out only because of comparing settings in my other accounts.

In settings, go to Mail, Contacts, Calendar. Click the troublesome account. There is an arrow to the right of the account name. Click the arrow. A big box comes up. At the bottom hit "advanced. Where it says "move discarded messages to.." make sure "deleted mailbox" is checked, not "archived mailbox" and your garbage icon should reappear.

Nov 3, 2013 4:04 PM in response to Scott98981

Thanks for the suggestion @ladyimpactohio. I have my settings configured in the manner you describe already. To be more specific, this is the observed behavior: When I delete an email, the email disappears for a second or two, then returns to the list of emails inside the inbox. This is an IMAP account and it correctly sends the email to the trash on the server side. However the email remains in the inbox in the iOS mail app. It seems that if you delete the most recent e-mail received that this behavior does not occur. Additionally if you delete the e-mail several times in a row eventually is removed from the list. I think this has something to do with webpine.

Nov 20, 2013 10:34 AM in response to Scott98981

Hi, I just had to figure this out on one of my client's iphone 3. She installed iOS 7 hoping that would fix it, but it didn't. I searched online for solutions, found this thread, which still didn't solve the problem, then just went with my gut. Go to Settings/Mail, Contacts, Calendars, select the account that's having trouble, click Account, scroll down to Advanced and select. Under Mailbox Behaviors select Delted Mailbox, then under On The Server, select Trash. Go back and try it. It worked on her phone - hope it helps with yours. Good luck!

Can't send email to trash in mail iOS7

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.