Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

No sound during full screen playback

Hi all, updated to itunes 11.1 and tonight my youngest son wanted to watch a movie on the mac, I started the movie and switched to full screen and then the sound dropped out, I've never had this happen before, switching back to windowed mode and the sound comes back on and the move plays fine, any ideas?

System is a late 2012 Mac mini, 16GB Ram, i7 running on a Thunderbolt Display all updated to the latest updates.

Cheers Jon

Mac mini (Late 2012), OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2), 16GB Ram

Posted on Sep 22, 2013 1:42 PM

33 replies

Sep 22, 2013 2:48 PM in response to curtispro

I'm having the same issue since I updated to iTunes 11.1. My mac mini is connect to Apple's Thunderbolt display, and the Display Audio is in use. When I switch the audio settings to mini's internal speakers the sound work in full screen mode, and when I switch back to Display Audio the sound works. But I have to do this hijinks every single time I am watching anything in full screen mode, which is all the time.

Cheers.

Sep 22, 2013 3:02 PM in response to inshany

I have just switched the sound to internal speakers and in full screen the sound works, switching back to USB speakers (thunderbolt display) no sound, now the strange thing is that I just started watching a movie from the cloud through iTunes store and the sound played during full screen playback, then clicking on the same movie after locating it in my iTunes library, full screen = no sound, the only way I can watch full screen movies from my HD now is either by opening the movie in finder and using QuickTime Player or watching non iTunes purchased movies trough PLEX, both working in full screen mode.

Sep 27, 2013 10:31 PM in response to curtispro

I'm having the same problem. I updated to iTunes 11.1 and video sound works normally until I switch to full screen mode. When I switch to full screen, and only then, the sound goes mute. Doesn't happen in iPhoto, only happens in iTunes. Doesn't happen in QuickTime Player, only happens in iTunes. Doesn't happen in Flip Player, or MPlayer X. Haven't tried to check every video player I have, but looks like the problem is unique to iTunes. Didn't notice problem until I upgraded iTunes to version 11.1. Pretty sure it didn't happen until that upgrade, because I remember watching iTunes Live broadcasts before the upgrade in Full Screen mode.

Early 2008 Mac Pro (3,1) running OS 10.8.5, iTunes 11.1, Logitech USB headset.

Oct 2, 2013 9:22 AM in response to zmapper

I'm having the same or similar problem. I started a discussion under "Cinema Display Sound problem in Full Screen Mode" on Sep 29, 2013.

While viewing a movie in iTunes or a DVD if I switch to full screen I lose the sound. This does not happen in full screen for a video on the internet, for example on uTube. But if I want to watch a DVD or an iTunes movie I lose the sound in Full Screen but it works if I switch to Play Video in iTunes Window or Play Video in a Separate window. I lose the sound if I switch back to Full Screen.

If I disconect the USB cable from my MacBook and reconnect it after the sound comes out of the MacBook then the sound of Play Video in Full Screen mode does work on the Cinema Display and the MacBook. Initially if the sound is not working in Full Screen on the Cinema Display it also does not work on the MacBook. It only works (on the MacBook) once the USB cable is disconnected. After that it will work if they are reconnected. But I may lose the sound in Full Screen again if I switch back and forth between Play Video in Full Screen and Play Video in iTunes Window.

Oct 3, 2013 8:42 PM in response to zmapper

Update from my previous post:

Just updated software with new update for iTunes that came out today (Oct. 3, 2013) and now I'm on iTunes 11.1.1, running OS 10.8.5 (Supplemental Update 1.0 which also came out today).

Early 2008 Mac Pro (3,1), Logitech USB headset.

Still having the same problem, but I have found a couple of new wrinkles I hadn't noticed before.

In iTunes Festival, when viewing a recorded show, I still have the problem that when I switch to full screen, the sound goes dead. In a windowed screen, sound is normal. iTunes Festival is where I first noticed the sound problem in full screen.

If I go to the iTunes store, and preview a music video, the sound works normally in full screen mode.

In iTunes, if I play a previously purchased music video, I get no sound when in full screen mode.

Other video players still work normally in full screen mode.

Oct 5, 2013 2:22 AM in response to curtispro

I have the exact same problem and it was driving me nuts also. I am surprised there was no fix in the latest update today. But in my new attempt to figure the issue out I ran into something else odd, full screen USB audio not only does not work but the quality and level of the sound really sucked. Now I use an Astro Mixamp that is plugged into the USB on my MB Pro 15" Retina and that is the audio I am using, now I do also have the MB Pro plugged in via HDMI into a monitor but no other connections with the HDMI beyond that.

So I was playing in the Sound Preferences and selected HDMI output for no reason at all, but suddenly the sound sparked to life and was crisp and clear, I went fullscreen on a movie and it worked!! the HDMI output is listed as 24EA53 which I have no idea what that means because the monitor is a 24" LG.

So I have no idea if that helps any of you or if anyone can explain it.

Oct 6, 2013 6:17 PM in response to curtispro

I'm having the same problem with no sound during full screen videos on a Thunderbolt display. Full screen playback works on the MacBook Pro speakers with the Thunderbolt display disconnected. Full screen playback using the Quicktime app works fine with the Thunderbolt display. It's obvious to me that with the ios 7 iTunes update they broke sound playback on external speakers when iTunes is in full screen mode. I was very disappointed that the lates iTunes update did not fix this issue.

I was able to get sound in full screen by pausing the the playback and then resuming as was suggested by someone in another thread. That hadn't worked for me prior to the last update.

Oct 12, 2013 5:25 PM in response to curtispro

This definitely appears to be an audio driver issue in iTunes 11.1.x. I still use Rogue Amoeba's free SoundSource utility to switch audio input and when the video podcast stops playing audio after switching to full-screen mode in iTunes, I switch to internal speakers via SoundSource and the audio starts playing again and when I switch back to USB wireless headphones the audio keeps playing. This issue did not occur in iTunes 10.x

SoundSource 2.5 works with OS X 10.8 and is available here

http://www.rogueamoeba.com/legacy/

or source code is here

https://github.com/nriley/SoundSource

Regards,

Derek Bolli, North Sydney.

iMac 27" Late 2012 OS X 10.8.5 iTunes 11.1.1

Oct 13, 2013 6:31 AM in response to curtispro

I am having the same issue on my Macbook Pro. I listen to audio via the USB headset that I have connected to a USB hub that supports 7 usb devices through the one USB apple port. The audio and video play just fine in windowed mode but when I go to full screen mode, the audio is lost. It returns when I go back to windowed mode. Never had this issue before so it must be a bug with the new version of iTunes.

Oct 20, 2013 3:03 PM in response to curtispro

Same issue here re: no sound on Full Screen through headphone jacks.

Although optical out (with surround channel movies) works fine.

MacbookPro 3,1 Late 2007

10.8.3 (internal drive)

10.8.5 (external)

10.6.8 (external)

Sooooo. something new, though: I updated my Snow Leopard external to Itunes 11.1.1 and all works fine; no issues at all. The problem is only affecting my ML installs when going into full screen.

Brad

No sound during full screen playback

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.