Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Bluetooth ports added and unchangeable after os 10.8.5 update

Anyone have any ideas?

I just updated my system software and now my bluetooth preferences are showing 2 new serial ports (modem) that I can NOT erase. Everytime I try, they keep on returning within in an hour or on reboot.

On top of that, the box that says "Allow Bluetooth devices to wake this computer" is checked and is grayed out, meaning I can't change it.

This was not the case before the update.

I'm not running any software that would request bluetooth use.

Please help!!

-jp

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.3)

Posted on Sep 22, 2013 1:36 PM

4 replies

Oct 9, 2013 10:42 AM in response to Barry Hemphill

As a reply to jp66177: you can uncheck "Allow Bluetooth devices to wake this computer" box. To do that you should turn bluetooth on and the box becomes available for unchecking. It remains unchecked for good after that, so there is nothing to worry about here.
However, I also have basically the same question about the ports. Perhaps it is ok that you can't erase them from the list permanently, but what looks strange to me is that you can't power them off either even when bluetooth general power settings are set to off (that is when bluetooth is turned off). In previous versions of Mac OS you actually could completelly controll power settings and keep bluetooth shut down.

So, the question is does everyone also observer the same power settings? What sence does it make to keep the ports powered even when bluetooth is not in use and set to off?

Bluetooth ports added and unchangeable after os 10.8.5 update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.