Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Streaming movies taking up memory in iPad

If I stream a movie from iTunes in the video Application, the movie plays fine but my usage drive memory goes down. I can close all the applications, and restart my iPad and the memory does not reset. It's almost better to download a movie then delete it than to stream. I have used iDelete to clean up Temp files, but how can I free that memory up?

iPad (3rd gen) Wi-Fi, iOS 7, After streaming a movie from usage

Posted on Sep 22, 2013 2:00 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 10, 2014 2:38 PM

I had the same issue but I've found an easier way to solve it.

Go to Settings and then 'Usage' in General.

Under Usage it will show you how many gb are allocated to each app. Video will be near the top.

If you tap on video it will show you the movies / tv shows that are in storage.

I then tapped edit (top left of screen) and the usual delete buttons popped up. You know the minus in the red circle.

There you go. Delete the videos you need to move off and voila.

15 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 10, 2014 2:38 PM in response to Jeffdoehring

I had the same issue but I've found an easier way to solve it.

Go to Settings and then 'Usage' in General.

Under Usage it will show you how many gb are allocated to each app. Video will be near the top.

If you tap on video it will show you the movies / tv shows that are in storage.

I then tapped edit (top left of screen) and the usual delete buttons popped up. You know the minus in the red circle.

There you go. Delete the videos you need to move off and voila.

Sep 23, 2013 11:52 AM in response to Jeffdoehring

I am having a similar problem with streamed videos that I exited before watching in its entirety. The only work around I have found is to reopen the video, skip to the end of the video and let it play all the way out. You might want to try that and see if it helps you.

It seems that when you're streaming the videos, they are actually cached on your phone, but the cache won't clear out unless you "watch" the whole thing.

(I am using an iPhone 4s...don't know if that makes any difference.)

Sep 23, 2013 7:09 PM in response to Jeffdoehring

I tested your theory on my iPhone 4 and it worked. I will test it on the iPad tonight. It appears you have to watch a movie all the way threw and allow the movie to finish then the cache clears... I will let you know if it works tomorrow!!! I would think if you stop watching a movie regardless it would clear the cache... I hope Apple is seeing this!!!

Oct 15, 2013 2:01 AM in response to Jeffdoehring

This answered my question why I don't see the cache taken up space on my iphone, but a huge chunck of space were taken out on my ipad. I started watching a few movies but didn't finish watching them on my ipad; but finished the entire movie on my iphone.

But if you really want to delete the cache manually, you can do so by going to Setting>General>Usage, wait till the top loads the local usage info, next to the "video"app it should say how much space the app used, click/open it, and it will list the cache by movie name, you can then swipe to delete the data/cache. I just free over 8GB of cache on my ipad 3.

Hope this helps.

Feb 1, 2014 12:28 AM in response to Jeffdoehring

Yes thank you so much rlmonera, that perfectly works in clearing out iOS video streaming data. Actually it's easier than skipping to the end of the movie.

Method 1: When you stream a movie from the Video app with iCloud, the movie begins playing over your wifi network and downloads to the device at the same time. If you are able to finish the movie without interruption, the movie will be added to your usage summary under General, Usage, Videos in the Settings app, and you can delete it from there.

Method 2: However, if the movie freezes like when your wifi disappears, or if you don't watch the full thing, you can't delete the cache data in Settings. To delete the cache, close the Video app by double clicking the Home Button, then swipe up to close the app. Next, go back to the very same movie and start streaming it again. Once the movie starts playing where it left off, swipe the progress to the beginning of the movie timeline. This deletes the cache and starts downloading the movie again. After the first few seconds, stop playing the movie and close the Videos app again. Then if you go back to your usage settings, the space the movie used will be freed up.

Sep 13, 2014 8:26 AM in response to Jeffdoehring

I've also recently encountered this issue on my iPad Air running iOS 7.1.2.

However when. Went to the settings > usage screen the video app displayed "No Data" which was confusing.

I found that an easy way of finding out what cached items you have on the device is to turn on Airplane Mode, go to the video app and see what items are returned; I had 8 TV episodes returned, even though I'd only streamed them and not technically downloaded them (they still had the cloud/download button next to them..).

I Cleared some extra space, then downloaded them. I could then delete them using the usual right-swipe delete option, turn the idevice off/on and found I'd manage to reclaim the Missing space. Hope this helps

Streaming movies taking up memory in iPad

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.