Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

New iPhone5s: iCloud backup tied to a diffrent apple ID

Hello,

Just bought me new iPhone 5s from the apple store.

I wanted to post here becuase I dont know if this has happened to someone else. I was finally able to setup my iphone after 4 hours of tinker with it.

Problem: When setting up new iPhone I selected "Restore from icloud backup" option and proceeded through the prompts. When selecting the latest back up, it would then take me to a new screen to verify my apple ID password but the apple ID on the screen was not mine. XXXXX1@gmail.com... I was still at the store and had a tech look at it. She couldnt figure it out so we ran another backup on the iPhone 4s and tried it again. It was still showing my actual backup but a diffrent apple ID. The were going to have me see a tech but they wanted to wait 1 hr. I had already waited 30 min to buy the phone so I just went home.

Solution/Workaournd: I had to run a full backup on itunes directly from home, then restore it to the new phone. This is the only was I was able to restore from backup.

I dont know why this happened. I bought the phone new from Verizon. It wasnt used nor was it a refurbished model.

Dont know why but I hope this helps somoene.

Please note that I tried mutiple times to restore from the icloud. Clearing all backups and running new ones and nothing.

iPhone 5s, iOS 7

Posted on Sep 22, 2013 4:02 PM

3 replies

Oct 30, 2013 5:34 PM in response to Coronabeer

YES!!! This happened to me. It worries me. I ended up using an older back up to restore from (which i had to stop bc it was taking literally 20 hours). Then, I plugged it into the computer and restored my newest backup from itunes (this is the one with the weird apple id - but it didn't show up with itunes) and it worked. It still worries me though that someone random is linked with my backup. Did you ever figure out the reason for this?

Dec 19, 2014 11:43 AM in response to aaqibofedgbaston

It says on the iCloud support website that, if some of the files in your backup was from another apple ID (example: your cousin sent you music attached to her account), you are required to provide the password to that account. A potential fix is to contact the person who has that account and ask them for their password (which will only work if you know that person).

I am running into the problem that I can no longer contact the person whose account password I need, and thus the popup to sign them in keeps appearing every time I open up the phone.

I am going to the apple store to try to figure out my problem, and will post an update in a few days with their solution.

New iPhone5s: iCloud backup tied to a diffrent apple ID

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.