Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

No Sound After Sleep

After updating to 10.8.5 whenever I wake from sleep I have no sound via HDMI. I can go into Settings and change it to internal or the headphones I have plugged in but it won't work even if I hit HDMI. Rebooting solves the problem until it goes to sleep again.

HDMI is hooked up to a Westinghouse LCD TV, and has had no problems since I bought it, but has had this sound issue after updating to OSX 10.5.8

Any suggestions?

Mac mini, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.5)

Posted on Sep 22, 2013 5:23 PM

8 replies

Sep 22, 2013 7:57 PM in response to Kevin Duncan 2691

If you don't already have a current backup, back up all data, then reinstall the OS. You don't need to erase the startup volume, and you won't need your backup unless something goes wrong. If your Mac was upgraded from an older version of OS X, you’ll need the Apple ID and password you used to upgrade.

If you installed the Java runtime distributed by Apple and still need it, you'll have to reinstall it.

Sep 22, 2013 10:22 PM in response to Kevin Duncan 2691

I seem to be having the exact same problem.

I'm using a mid 2011 mini with the 2.3 GHz i5 processor.

I just updated to 10.8.5 and now the sound output failed every

day or two. Now every few hours.I have to restart the computer

to get it back. I've tried changing imputs, swapping cables,

changing the settings in system preferrences.

Nothing works except a reboot. : (

In reply den.thedwrote:

When the sound stops working, go to: Applications > Utilities > open Audio MIDI setup > select Output > reselect the desired output source and/or fiddling around with the output format settings.

This problem could also be related to audio settings in GarageBand, Pro App's or any other third party audio software that you might be running.

If that doesn't help... then it won't hurt to:

1. Reset the SMC > Resetting the System Management Controller (SMC)

1. Shut down the computer.

2. Unplug the computer's power cord.

3. Wait fifteen seconds.

4. Attach the computer's power cord.

5. Wait five seconds, then press the power button to turn on the computer.

2. Zap the NVRAM PRAM > About NVRAM and PRAM

1. Shut down the computer.

2. Locate the following keys on the keyboard: Command, Option, P, and R. You will need to hold these keys down simultaneously in step 4.

3. Turn on the computer.

4. Press and hold the Command-Option-P-R keys. You must press this key combination before the gray screen appears.

5. Hold the keys down until the computer restarts and you hear the startup sound for the second time.

6. Release the keys.

This has not worked for me, but maybe it could help you.

Sep 25, 2013 11:31 AM in response to user1724

Thanks for the feedback. I tried the 10.8.5 combo update, re-installing 10.8 and resetting the SMC and zapping the NVRAM. I have had no results. What I have done is set the computer to not sleep. So far I still have audio. The link above from alangelakis looks promising. I also like the idea from user1724 to leave bug report.

I hope the update comes soon.

No Sound After Sleep

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.