Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can a non-iPhone stream to Apple TV?

Just as the headline states, wondering if a non-iPhone, such as the HTC One or Nexus 4 would be able to stream video content to Apple TV? Disappointed with iOS7 so I'm considering switching to HTC One or perhaps the upcoming Nexus 5, and want to see if it's still possible to use these devices to stream to Apple TV.

iPhone 5, iOS 6.0.2

Posted on Sep 22, 2013 5:31 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 22, 2013 8:06 PM

The ATV only supports AirPlay which is a proprietary Apple format.

Whether other devices can be "hacked" to stream to the ATV is not something that can really be discussed here. Try google.

3 replies

Sep 22, 2013 8:42 PM in response to jastokes212

Why are you disappointed with iOS 7? It is far better than iOS 6. I have been using iOS 7 for over a week and the UI is far better. You think Android would be better? I used a friend's Android phone once and the software was awful. It was the most unfriendly UI ever. You cannot use an Android phone because they will never have AirPlay, since that is an Apple format, as noted above, and Apple will most likely never license the software to Google (as they have done with stereo manufacturers).

Nov 25, 2013 4:43 PM in response to jastokes212

Hello thought I would update my own question after doing quite a bit of research: The answer is Yes you can use other devices, such as Android phones, to stream to Apple TV. In fact there are several apps on Google Play to do just that, and they all work. So for anyone worried about losing your Apple TV over switching to Android, you have nothing to worry about.

Can a non-iPhone stream to Apple TV?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.