Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't connect to NAS or Time Machine

Every time I try to connect to my NAS (WD MyBook Live) or the Time Machine located on this NAS, I get the following error message:

There was a problem connecting to the following server "MyBookLive.local". The server may not exist or it is unavailable at this time.

I can manually connect to the server through smb and see all the shares but TIme Machine is not working.

I can see the MyBookLive in my Shared device list in Finder, but clicking on the link returns the above mentioned message.

I have tried to reboot both the computer and the NAS several times without any success. I have also tried different router and switch LAN ports without any success.

Interesting thing is that I have a "shortcut" in my Finder Side Bar under Favorites for a folder on the NAS and this folder is readily accessible. This folder is located in the Public Share of the NAS.

All was functioning flawlessly till few days ago. I can't see what has changed. I am running Lion.

All shares of the NAS are normally accessible through a Windows PC.

Your help is greatly appreciated.

Mac mini, Mac OS X (10.7.5)

Posted on Sep 22, 2013 6:03 PM

8 replies

Sep 22, 2013 7:56 PM in response to tm-123

Backing up to a third-party NAS with Time Machine is risky, and unacceptably risky if it's your only backup. This is an example of what can happen. If the NAS doesn't work, your only recourse is to the manufacturer (which will blame Apple.)

If you want network backup with Time Machine, use as the destination either an Apple Time Capsule or an external hard drive connected to another Mac or a mini-tower (802.11ac) AirPort base station. Only the 802.11ac base station supports Time Machine, not any previous model.

Sep 24, 2013 7:25 PM in response to Linc Davis

After I physically remove the NAS form the network the NAS dissapears from Shared devices. When I reconnect the MyBookLive to the network it shows up again as a Bonjour device under shared devices but remains inaccessible, giving the same error message that the server may not exist or that it is unvailalbe at this time.

Nov 22, 2013 12:54 PM in response to tm-123

Hi tm-123,

Could you tell me if you have managed to connect your WD NAS drive time machine from a different location at all if so how? is there a way to use your timemachine on a NAS drive from afar?

I have also had problems viewing my shares through the WDMyCloud.com website. It keeps coming up with " The server directory could not be mounted because it is not WebDAV or because node does not have proper access" when i want to open in finder. this is on both safari and firefox.

Can you help at all please?

Cheers

Mac

May 22, 2015 1:36 PM in response to cosh22

@cosh22

I've successfully connected my MyBookWorld NAS using Yosemite. It wasn't easy, took most of a day to figure out.

1. Use Safari to connect to the NAS by typing "afp://MyBookWorld.local/WD_Backup" into the address bar and enter.

2. A login should appear. Select "Registered User" then enter User as "WD_Backup" and Password as "Backup".

3. This should add WD_Backup to the list of devices in Finder.

4. Go to Time Machine and Select Disk as WD_Backup and re-enter the same credentials as in step 2.

5. That's all!!!

I haven't checked for stability after log off or shut down but this is farther than I think anyone else is so far.

Scott

Can't connect to NAS or Time Machine

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.