Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Help my iMac G4 updated ram and now, when booting I get a black screen

Hi, everyone , I wanted to add more ram and a bigger hard drive, My iMac G4 is a 800mhz with 512mbs of ram and an 80gb hard drive my serial number is QT*****N0S, and when I put it all back together it goes on with sound and everything but the monitor stays black, I can here it start and it makes the start up noise and everything but the screen stays black did I not connect it right or did some how I broke it, I have put it back together and take it apart aging to make shore I did not miss any thing but it still has a black screen, please help I love this mac.😟

<Edited By Host>

iMac, Mac OS X (10.5.6)

Posted on Sep 22, 2013 6:16 PM

1 reply

Sep 23, 2013 8:59 AM in response to andrea825522

* cmd-opt-p-r -- Zap PRAM. Hold down until second chime.

* cmd-opt-n-v -- Clear NV RAM. Similar to reset-all in Open Firmware.

let's see if you can get something on the display that doesn't involve the OS.

* cmd-opt-o-f -- Boot into open firmware

Then, before the screen lights up, hold down Command-Option-O-F until the Open Firmware screen appears. Then enter these lines, pressing Return after each one:

reset-nvram

set-defaults

reset-all

"The reset-all command should restart your Mac. If so, you have successfully reset the Open Firmware settings."

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS1812?viewlocale=en_US

Should the fail...

Try taking the battery out for 10 minutes. Put battery back in. Cross fingers. Power the machine back on.

Help my iMac G4 updated ram and now, when booting I get a black screen

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.