Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Superdrive not working after 10.8.5 update

Previously, I was able to use my Superdrive on one of the four USB prts on my Mac. It was already a pain inthe butt, because I have to manually swap the Superdrive cable and the iPad cable, but it worked. Now, it will ONLY work on ONE port, the first one (closest to the center). That's the port I have my KB/mouse on. If I switch the KB/mouse, my mouse (SteelSeries D3 mouse) doesn't have enough power.

However, I have used the SD and the KB/Mouse combo for months until the last OS update. (The other two ports house a hub and an externa drive. I have tried switching various things like the ouse, the drive, etc. onto the hub, but no combination works. [I already know no Apple device will work properly, and some not at all, on the hub.)

iMac 27" 3.4 ghz Intel i7

This is what WAS working until this morning:

USB One: Apple wired KB

Steel Series Diable 3 USB mouse (on KB USB)

USB Two: Targus USB 3.0 4-port powered hub

iPhone 4s (this runs fine on the hub)

USB Three: Basic USB drive housing with SATA drive

(I CAN run this on the hub, but since my other devices won't run on the other USB port in the iMac anyway, it doesn't help me much!)

USB Four: Apple USB Superdrive (Early 2013 model)

- OR -

USB Four: iPad 3rd Gen

Now the Superdrive won't work on anything but USB One, and neither will the KB/Mouse. The mouse will also not work on the hub. I'm guessing this is due to the OS update, but why on earth wold Apple make it HARDER to use Apple hardware????

Any suggestions? (Other than to get a non-Apple CD/DVD-r, which I am about a half an inch from as it is!!!) Thanks so much!

iMac, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.4), 27" 3.4 Ghz Core i7

Posted on Sep 22, 2013 6:31 PM

9 replies

Sep 27, 2013 8:04 PM in response to den.thed

Sorry, my post must not have been clear. Let me clarify:

1) The hub IS self powered, as in AC power adapter to wall. I've never been able to use the Suprdrive on the hub, so that's not even my issue.

2) I can no longer use both my KB/Mouse AND the Superdrive at once. Whichever one the comuter finds first gets power, and the other isn't recognized at all. This is only since the latest 10.8.5 update; prior to that, I had used the exact same hardware, with both plugged directly into the iMac.

I am curious if anyone else has noticed a change in USB behavior since this update, or if there is a way I can still actually use the SuperDrive for something other than a paperweight.... 🙂

Sep 28, 2013 4:50 PM in response to Ravenmoon

Edited to add: every time my Mac wakes from sleep, it 'kicks off' the external hard drive (connected directly to the Mac), yielding a "Disk has not been properly put away" message. It remounts the disk a second of two after, but I feel like I'm flirting with disaster having it get abruptly and incorrectly unmounted constantly! What the heck is going on here?

Sep 29, 2013 7:46 AM in response to Ravenmoon

That does sound very frustrating. Sorry for misreading part of your first post.

Eject your external drive(s), disconnect everything and reset the iMac's SMC.

Intel-based Macs: Resetting the System Management Controller (SMC)

1. Shut down the computer.

2. Unplug the computer's power cord.

3. Wait fifteen seconds.

4. Attach the computer's power cord.

5. Wait five seconds, then press the power button to turn on the computer.

Then instead of mixing 2.0 and 3.0 devices on the same port or hub, try segregating them into seperate groups. Connect your 2.0 devices into the outer most USB ports next to the card slot and connect your 3.0 devices into the inner most USB ports next to the Thunderbolt port.

Again if you have more than several 2.0 devices, (Keyboard, Hard Drive, Superdrive, iPad, etc.) try clumping them together on one of your 3.0 hubs or get another self-powered USB 2.0 Hub to keep them separated from your 3.0 devices.

Sep 30, 2013 7:53 PM in response to Ravenmoon

I've have never used a forum before even though for years I've actively used them to get out of jams. But this particular issue was something I faced as well and felt compelled to join in because I would also like to find an answer to this. I also have a late 2012 iMac 3.4GHz i7 that has been experiencing this issue as well. I first noticed (after the 10.8.5 update) that the USB hubs on my apple keyboard didn’t have enough power to charge my iPhone 5. Even though this was something since I had brought the iMac could do. I tried an SMC reset to no avail. Under the advice of apple care I also tried a PRAM reset but again to no avail. I have swapped around all possible combinations to get both devices working (My Superdrive & keyboard) but when I have my keyboard attached and try to connect the Superdrive I get an error saying there isn’t enough power to run this device, and I should try plugging it into the back of the iMac which is what I am actually doing. The resolution offered by Apple care is that I can return my Superdrive in store and replace it for lighting Superdrive (which when I did my research afterward I found such a device doesn’t exists, well not on the AU site anyway). Hypothetically even if it was just a straight swap and the person on the phone got it wrong. What happens when I try to use it when I arrive home and get the same error message? If anyone has an idea on how to combat this power struggle please help. Because I’m not going to hold my breath on a new OS update to fix it. Thank you in advance.

Oct 26, 2013 10:29 PM in response to Ravenmoon

I'm actually having a similar problem as well. Mine however says the USB device doesn't have enough power and says to plug it into a USB drive. And it IS plugged into a USB drive.

I'm also having the same problem with my iPhones, the device can't be accessed because there isn't enough power.

I know my Superdrive isn't the issue, because its currently plugged into my Air and working nicely.

Superdrive not working after 10.8.5 update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.